octopus at wetherill

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

orion612004

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Dove Ft. Wetherill saturday afternoon. wind was blowing and was forced to go off the boat launch. Less than a ft vis in the shallows and 7-8 ft in deeper water. Max depth 48ft with temp 50 F. Around 47ft ish along the wall came across a small octopus on a mussel shell. Little guy was only a few centimeters big. There were also squid, sea cucumbers, crabs, and cunner.

Orion

Dove Ft. Wetherill saturday afternoon. wind was blowing and was forced to go off the boat launch. Less than a ft vis in the shallows and 7-8 ft in deeper water. Max depth 48ft with temp 50 F. Around 47ft ish along the wall came across a small octopus on a mussel shell. Little guy was only a few centimeters big. There were also squid, sea cucumbers, crabs, and cunner.

Orion

Can you tell us more about the Octopus? It would be a rare sighting. How many cm across? Patterning etc.

Cheers,

X

I've heard of octopus at Ft Wetherill in the cold seasons. I never saw them myself. I also don't speak of them as I have never confirmed they are there and people could think I'm seeing things like that giant stingray at Mansion Beach off Block Island.

Maybe this will get others to come forward to disclose they also saw an Octopus.

Thanks for reporting.

I have never heard of octopi in New England waters. I wonder how far north they go? And I also wonder why would they appear in the winter? :idk:

orion612004 spotted this one on a mussel shell then pointed it out to me. But it's the second I've seen at Wetherill. I've also seen one on the Onondaga a few years back.

Attachments

• IMG_0223.jpg
    IMG_0223.jpg
    413.1 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_0225.jpg
    IMG_0225.jpg
    419.2 KB · Views: 107
Thanks for the pic Mangi. They are rare in NE waters but not out of the question. People always associate them with the tropics but that's a misnomer.

orion612004 spotted this one on a mussel shell then pointed it out to me. But it's the second I've seen at Wetherill. I've also seen one on the Onondaga a few years back.

Man o man would I have loved to collected the little guy (temporarily) and determine the species!!!

Wonder if he is a transient blown in from somewhere. Glad he's eatin' a crab and staying healthy. Truly fascinating creatures.

Thanks for the pics.

X

p.s. It would be very interesting to ID this fella. Here's a online resource about cephalopods: ftp://ftp.fao.org/docrep/fao/009/y4160e/y4160e10.pdf

Last edited:
Nice find! Those critters are such masters of camouflage that even if you're lucky enough to run across one, there's a pretty good chance you won't see it!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom