octopus at wetherill

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't know much about octos, but another idea would be a deeper-water octopus that got a little closer to shore than usual. For example, this species is found around here if you get below 200m:

Bathypolypus arcticus, deep sea octopus - The Cephalopod Page

Cool! Thanks for the link. It would be very interesting to bring a slurp gun out there and collect a specimen to key (non-invasively). What's interesting about the octo. photos is the papillae on the eye stalks. However, since these guys can assume any shape...

I used to have several octopods for behavioral research and just love the way they think and react. It's just too bad that nature doesn't let these guys live longer than a few years because they'd probably have cities underwater by now if they lived a few decades. They're pretty nice as pets too. :D

X

amazing, simply amazing ! I would never have thought either that we could find an octopus in NE waters.

My wife saw an octopus today in the right cove at Ft Wetherill that may be the same one as it was similarly colored and the same size. Water was 48 F and depth was ~ 25'. Octopus location was along the rocks on the left side just past the wall.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom