Off Jacksonville in September?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AevnsGrandpa

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'll be coming down to Jacksonville for my grandson's 5th birthday in early September and was wondering what the waters are like that time of year? Was thinking of maybe trying a boat dive with Atlantic Pro.

All I have done in the past up that ways is the springs.

Thanks,

Jeff

Yeh theres not too many Jax divers around here...
In September, the water temp should still be hovering just below 80 or so I would say. The winds can start to kick up that time of year and you also have the hurricanes being an issue then. Vis is usually around 20-50 feet. Jax diving can be hit or miss due to conditions but when mother nature cooperates, it can be very good.

There are a few of us bumping around on here. As for offshore Jax, I've been out with Atlantic Pro Dive a number of times now. Although I can't recall specific conditions for September, dives here are generally low viz affairs (20' MAX) on a non-descript wreck (usually a barge) tailored mainly for spear fishers. Temps are usually fine, but the ever-present jellies require that you wear something.

That being said, post up when you have a specific date in mind for your dive trip.

I had to laugh at Palatka Boy's response because he described my exact experience this week - right down to the jellys. I really enjoyed Atlantic Pro Divers. They are good guys and really made me feel welcome. Mainly spear fishermen on our boat - 5 divers. Lots and lots of jellyfish - at one point they were heaped on top of each other - I could avoid them for the most part at depth. I got stung just on my face but it wasn't too bad. We saw a couple of barges at 50-60 feet with fair viz - bottom temps at 75 degrees. We saw some grouper and a nurse shark.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom