Off Topic birth control pills question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Heather,
Your doc is talking about the Mirena IUS. It's an Intra-Uterine System as opposed to an Intra-Uterine Device. The difference is that an IUD obstructs implantation simply by being present in your uterus and it gives you heavier and more painful periods. The IUS has a time-release synthetic hormone built in, so your uterine lining does not build up. Therefore you have lighter and less painful periods. (Mine have stopped completely.) But, unlike the pill, its effect is totally local - you still have natural hormonal cycles and ovulation (and monthly chocolate cravings). I had to go off the pill due to migranes and then went off Depo because I gained about 15 pounds on it. Fortunately, I was living in the UK at the time so all my birth control was free under national healthcare. I have no idea how much an IUS would cost here. But it's effective for 5 years. It's a little painful (for about 15 seconds) to have put in and I experienced some random spotting for the first few months but that's IT for side effects!!! I highly higly recommend it. No periods, no weight gain, 99.99% effective!!

Serious weight gain - stopped after 3 months due to gain (about 15 pounds), loss of interest, blood pressure increase, and a couple other side effects. After long discussions with my docs decided to get an IUD. Best move I ever made. No chemicals. The newer devices don't have the associated problems the older version do, some are good for 5-7 yrs, minimal side effects - usually pop a couple aspirin. Docs used to be reluctant in women without kids due to possible perforation complications. Newer models don't carry as much risk. Insertion takes 15 minutes, they suggest you take a couple aspirin or ibuprofin before & after.

Louie is correct - you can choose the birth control method best for you. You must advocate & do your own homework. If your doc won't help you, find a new one.

i used ones called celest for 5 years and i must say i had no complains! my weight maybe slightly changed but nothing noticeable. but most importantly it decreased my period pains. now, due to nonexistence of my sex life :), i stopped using them couple of months ago and i miss them..

Aquababe....I guess it affects people in different ways as I used that one for about a week and then I was violently ill for about 3 days - layed up in bed ! Missed a hug portion of college from trying different pills as a lot made me so ill !

I'm happy with depo. I have read some pretty horrific horror stories about it over the past month but I dont seem to suffer from any symptoms from it - except my chest size is larger than it used to be.

Anyway from the UK having problems getting depo. at the moment? Or is it affecting anyone in the US? I think they had a manufacturing problem and now everywhere seems to have run out !! :confused:

I spent the best part of a month hunting down a shots worth of depro. But they do seem to have sorted it out know - but not the pre filled seringe version.
I've been on it for 6 months now and had no SideXF with it.
The only thing is if you do get probs your stuck with it for 3 months.
But its the mopst hassel free contraceptive I've ever had, and as im in the uk its free.

Anybody wishing to do some further reading on the subject of contraception may want to take a look at this page from the Family Planning Association in England:

http://www.fpa.org.uk/guide/contracep/index.htm

It's fairly comprehensive and I've found it a useful resource in education and training.

that looks like excellent information. thanks for the link!

Wooohoooo!!!! Finally got my depo jab today!!!! Only 23 days too late!

Almost didnt get it though. The nurse took my blood pressure and it was 154/100. Waited a couple of minutes and it didnt change. She asked the doctor who said I couldnt have it and had to see the doctor for blood tests as I have other medical problems they always worry about!!!

Anyway - waited an hour to see the doctor with sick people all around me and managed to control my b/p to 160/90. The doc said I could have it but have to go back each month to be monitored.

Oh well..........my hormones can go back to normal and our china will be safe again!!! :D

the china is safe, my nerves have return to more or less what they were, and even the cat has come home ....

We all love Depro ... :boom:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom