"Offroad" Tank Cart

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Warthaug

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
A group of friends and I dive together on a frequent basis, mostly shore diving. Several of our more popular shore dives require a bit of a hike in to reach the site, often down hiking trails or poorly maintained roads which have been closed. As you can imagine, carrying cold-water gear over that distance is a real pain. We were thinking about making a tank cart to carry the heavier stuff, but rather then redesigning the wheel I was hoping that someone here maybe has figured this out already.

The only caveat is that the cart needs to be able to go over rough terrain, so it needs a bit more then just shopping cart tires (I was thinking of using tires from a kids bike).

Thanx for any ideas/suggestions/plans

Bryan

You can use one of those "little red wagons" you see kids being pulled around in, reinforce it with some extra tubing and add wheelbarrow or small trailer tires to it as well. And don't forget grab handles on the sides or the front/back to be able to carry it or to grab it.

Warthaug:
A group of friends and I dive together on a frequent basis, mostly shore diving. Several of our more popular shore dives require a bit of a hike in to reach the site, often down hiking trails or poorly maintained roads which have been closed. As you can imagine, carrying cold-water gear over that distance is a real pain. We were thinking about making a tank cart to carry the heavier stuff, but rather then redesigning the wheel I was hoping that someone here maybe has figured this out already.

The only caveat is that the cart needs to be able to go over rough terrain, so it needs a bit more then just shopping cart tires (I was thinking of using tires from a kids bike).

Thanx for any ideas/suggestions/plans

Bryan

I had the very same problem, and thought the solution was to build a cart out of steel tubing and 26 inch bike wheels. The cart never got built, but I did end up buying a Suzuki Samurai for $800. It's basically a street legal 4-wheeler and has enough room for gear for two. That might be overkill in your situation, but I thought I'd mention it. In any case, tread lightly...

e.a.e.

Here is a heavy duty wagon but, may be too small:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=32826

Seen this garden cart used at quarrys and camps on some rough terrain:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=30421

This one can double as a cart or, a platform mounted on a Reese hitch:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=2915

I'll keep an eye on this thread to see if any good ideas for homemade modified carts pop-up worth building.

Good luck.

MRF:
There was a recent thread on a similar topic. In that one I saw where someone had gotten a Stanley tool chest with a handle and wheels from Lowe's. I went and looked at them. They cost abt $50usd as is. It would be pretty easy to add a 2 tank rack to the bottom end and put on ballon tires.

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=101939-82673-29005

:shades:

It was me who recommend a Stanley tool box. I don't think it is good for off-road condition. As MRF suggested, it has to be modified. The plastic wheel is very easy to be stuck on the off-road.... Been there and done that.... It comes with the lifetime warranty though.....

Roleez. Its good stuff.

this summer, my dive buddy and me found a really interesting place to dive. its a old mining pit. it was really good early in the summer but for some reason (to mutch youg party at night) the road was close.

the last time we dive there, i put my stuff on and walk 20 minutes. im youg and healty so it's not a probleme for me.
my dive buddy is a little big, around 35-40 age and he dive in twin bottle so he but is stuff on what we call in quebec "a devil" (kind of little car to lift some box)
product_detail2.jsp

after his twin bottle fall twice on a rock, i take is bottle to the shore. the "devil" are now a new artificial wreck in this pit. :07:

that was my story
if you found a way to do something, im interested but it have to be easy to put in a car.

good night
sorry for the poor english quality

Back
Top Bottom