OGB mini trip report-- Torpedo Ray!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My wife and I did OGB for 2 dives yesterday (9/7). Perfectly calm seas, had the beach to ourselves and the visibility was about 20 - 25 ft with bottom temps around 55 degrees at 35 ft. Decided to go for lobster on the 2nd dive. Got my first keeper ever but bigger ones got away. Given that this was my first and that I couldn't pick up a 2nd for the dinner table I set this one free. There'll be more. It was probably the best 2 dives I ever did there.

I don't think the night diving at OGB is illegal.....there is just a sign there put up by the neighborhood association that requests that there be no night diving.

Given how close the houses are to the site, if diving there at night I try to: (1) not dive too late (start dive around dusk); (2) be extra quiet at the end of the dive, especially opening/shutting car doors; and (3) be extra nice/polite to residents walking by. So far, no problems.

On the PR front -- I know we've discussed complaints that OGB area residents have raised about divers in the past. I noticed on the beach bulletin board that they do have a beach clean-up day once a year...usually in the early spring. Might be worth showing up to help next year and quietly letting people know why you are there....

I night dive OGB a few times every month and have had no problems. I'm quiet and curteous to the residents and no one has ever harrassed me. Upon surfacing from my most recent night dive at OGB, there was a police officer waiting in the parking lot (likely to confirm that I didn't have a bag full of bugs). He didn't even pull over to talk to me.

Back
Top Bottom