Ohio Quarry Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

White Star Quarry, Gibsonburg, Ohio one of the best inland dive sites in the midwestern USA. Midwest dive sight.

Whitestar's another good one in the area, its the one I pretty much live at... lemme know if you wanna get wet... I work nights so during the week/days (9am-2pm in general) works well for me...

I don't think it's too wise to be encouraging someone to go diving before they have completed their OW training.

Yes, White Star is a great quarry for training, practice, fun diving, etc. But please finish your open water certification before diving it on your own.

Last edited:
Hi JJ. Welcome to diving! As a native oHIoan I hope you enjoy your visit and diving.

Gilboa, White Star, and Portage are all good places. Gilboa has most of the attractions at 40 feet or less. White Star will be generally a 50 foot dive, and has plenty to see. They are also run by a PADI guy. Portage might have an event running, which can be interesting. Hope I'm being fair to all my dive sites! As mentioned, any shop within 100 miles can probably point you to an instructor.

Scuba Diving and Recreation Center in Northwest Ohio - Portage Quarry
Gilboa Quarry Scuba Diving
White Star Quarry, Gibsonburg, Ohio one of the best inland dive sites in the midwestern USA. Midwest dive sight.

Have you ever counted the attractions at Portage? It will Take you more than a day.

I don't think it's too wise to be encouraging someone to go diving before they have completed their OW training.

I guess I just thought that he'd look me up After completing the cert he's already started taking... see its kinda assumed... I just didnt spell it out for you...

your absolutely right... its Not too wise to encourage someone to dive without training... and I'd never suggest otherwise.

Have you ever counted the attractions at Portage? It will Take you more than a day.

... and you are? Given the marketing I assume you're affiliate with Portage in some way. If so, it's best to identify that lest you be accused of being a sock puppet. You're a new member, all 5 of your posts are pointing folks to Portage and your profile information is nonexistent. I have no issue with online marketing, but I do have an issue when it's done by someone affiliated with the entity they're recommending without disclosing that fact.

I am not affiliated with any of these quarries and I absolutely love Portage and agree it would take numerous dives to see all the sites.

Come on Stash, the viz at Portage is a lot better than 15 feet. This year has been one of the best years of diving at the quarry. Portage is a very big body of water and does get dark. The 2nd thermocline is cloudy. However overall the viz is fine.

I also love Whitestar. I believe the facility is really becoming a wonderful place to dive and train. The viz at Whitestar is the best out of the 3 big quarries in Ohio. However, other than the rock crusher, it gets a little boring.

I enjoy Gilboa. I just will not dive there from June to September. It has the coolest collection of dive sites.

I am not affiliated with any of these quarries and I absolutely love Portage and agree it would take numerous dives to see all the sites.

Come on Stash, the viz at Portage is a lot better than 15 feet. This year has been one of the best years of diving at the quarry. Portage is a very big body of water and does get dark. The 2nd thermocline is cloudy. However overall the viz is fine.

I also love Whitestar. I believe the facility is really becoming a wonderful place to dive and train. The viz at Whitestar is the best out of the 3 big quarries in Ohio. However, other than the rock crusher, it gets a little boring.

I enjoy Gilboa. I just will not dive there from June to September. It has the coolest collection of dive sites.

i couldnt agree with you more...:D

I think Bus is saying it can get a little crowded... Leads to waits, congestion, somebody chopping fire wood at midnight...

I think Bus is saying it can get a little crowded... Leads to waits, congestion, somebody chopping fire wood at midnight...

Yep. Boy it is nice in the October and November when the leaves are changing and you look up from 20 feet and see the colors. January is a wonderful time before the freeze. Maybe 10 divers on a Saturday.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom