Ohio Quarry Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I guess I just thought that he'd look me up After completing the cert he's already started taking... see its kinda assumed... I just didnt spell it out for you...

your absolutely right... its Not too wise to encourage someone to dive without training... and I'd never suggest otherwise.

I was on the same page with you... waiting until my OW certification is completed.

Thanks to everyone who posted info and gave their input. It was very helpful and at times amusing.

I've decided to complete my certification with Huron Scuba diving at Gilboa. My priority is PADI OW certification and Gilboa is closest to Findlay, OH where I'll be staying. All I have to do now is complete my paperwork and show up at Gilboa. I can't wait!

JJ

Congrats on lining up everything. You will have a blast at Gilboa. Hopefully the silt has settled from yesterday's event by the time you get out there. Let us know when you have your OW cert so you can come out and swim with the rest of us.

I think Bus is saying it can get a little crowded... Leads to waits, congestion, somebody chopping fire wood at midnight...

YES, as for Gilboa... it gets crazy busy. I won't go there anymore during the summer weekends. And, it's too bad because it doesn't have to be that way. I went last year on a weekend and it was crazy. I was going to refrain this year, but I was told that the check-in area was all redone. I couldn't believe how it was all designed. Trying to check in, there were multiple people that were able to make there way in front of me because the counter area has no real line. They should have put the counter along the rear of the building and a line up the right one side. then, get rid of all the crap stored mindless everywhere in the middle.

That was the same story outside. I'm sure they could put all the junk they are going to sink and the sandbags for who knows what somewhere else and have a more defined parking lot. It's a cluster to get your gear to the dive spots as it is and then Mike gets mad when you park down by the camping area when you are not a camper. Hmmmm... wonder why people do that????

As I sat there waiting for my air to get filled, I noticed that MANY people didn't know what to do with their tanks. When the guy wasn't there or watching, I had to tell them how the half baked line of tanks work - primarly so mine would finally get filled. They should have some sort of staging area for this with a little signage instead of just putting the tanks on the beautiful uneven ceramic tiles....

Oh well - the dives are really fun though and I won't mind it when there is very little activity. Vis is fine and the sites are good too!

Hey, ask them about registering the world record attempt in 2010! They fell short this year, but not by much.

The plot thickens!!

Seems as though Huron Scuba has NOW decided that "unfortunately, we are not going to be able to meet your needs for completing your PADI Open Water Diver certification that weekend". This was after enrolling in OW class, paying instruction and rental fees, arranging for dive referral and faxing an assortment of documents to the dive shop.

So now I'm researching other options...

More to come later...

Stay tuned!

jj

ps they were kind enough to refund my money.

luckily, there are an abundant number of qualified instructors in the area! Should you need help in finding one, let us know!

KF

Why don't you look at doing the PADI e-learning to complete most of the course work. You can do the confined water work in Oklahoma. Call Portage and ask Jeff if an instructor can meet with you to do your check out dives. Very easy. There are a lot of shops that will help. You can also call Diver's Inc in Ann Arbor. They run Whitestar. See if they can get an instructor to help you out. Good luck and keep us posted.

Why don't you look at doing the PADI e-learning to complete most of the course work. You can do the confined water work in Oklahoma. Call Portage and ask Jeff if an instructor can meet with you to do your check out dives. Very easy. There are a lot of shops that will help. You can also call Diver's Inc in Ann Arbor. They run Whitestar. See if they can get an instructor to help you out. Good luck and keep us posted.

In fact I have already completed the e-learning, confined water, and two of my OW dives. So now I just need my last two dives. I'm currently gathering all my documents for referral and I'll keep Portage in mind.

Thanks for the info

jj

So now I'm back on track. I have now scheduled my last two OW dives with Rich from Divers Incorporated at White Star. Tomorrow I take my medical release to my doc for sign off and the rest of my referral information is in the mail from my Hawaii dive shop. So, everyone keep their fingers crossed and by this time next month I will finally have my certification. I can't wait to experience a quarry dive. Maybe next year when I'm up in the Ohio northwest I'll try diving one of the other quarries that everyone has talked about.

Again, many thanks for sending all the great information my way.

jj

Back
Top Bottom