OK...how many of you have done this?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There's no reason to keep the snorkel in your mouth while you are underwater. After your last breath, drop the mouthpiece. Nothing in your mouth - no urge to breathe. As you begin your ascent, replace the mouthpiece and put a puff of air in the snorkel.

Happened way too many times for me tooooo.......

*blush*

Never happened to me, probably because I snorkel since I can remember and besides diving I usually snorkel a lot, mainly when I'm on vacation.

My biggest surprise is when I am on the surface during a dive, look down through my mask to check out conditions, and can't figure out why I can't get air without a reg in my mouth.:eek:

Dr. Jay once bubbled...
Just went snorkeling today in the local no-diving allowed springs....with my cool dry snorkel and cool jet fins :D!

Sank down to about 12-15 ft....looked at some rocks and little fishies...and started thinking...sure is nice and calm down here....no little kids screaming and kicking me from above...inflatable tubes bashing into my head....and then....like a reflex....

SLLUUURRPPP....COUGH COUGH....GURGLE GURGLE....

Quick...ascend to the surface you idiot! You don't have a tank strapped to your back and you tried to take a breath....FROM YOUR SNORKEL!!!

Well, like a kid putting his fingers in an electric socket, it only happend once.

Is there some sort of club I should join or what :confused:?

The son of one of my wife's colleagues drowned in an incident just like that.

R..

I like the idea of taking the snorkel out of your mouth when free-diving. That could be just the thing to avoid the mouth/lungs full of water thing. Thanks for the tip.

I can honestly say that this has never happened to me. However, I would have paid money to see the sudden bolt to the surface.

:wink:

Well...like I said, I only did it once. The bolt to the surface was quick, but not frantic. After the first slight gulp of water, I stopped and surfaced. I was actually laughing once I hit the surface, and the other guy I was snorkeling with (a non-diver) just didn't understand my stupidity. Actually, snorkeling is what got me into diving in the first place! Just lots of cooler stuff to see deeper. This was the first time I had brought the plastic stick out since I started diving.

Anyway, can't take your mouth off the mouthpiece with a dry snorkel. Here is the snorkel I was snorkeling with. If you take your mouth off the moutpiece, it fills with water (kind of defeats the purpose :)). Once I got used to it, I did fine. I'm so used to purging a snorkel when I surfaced, this thing just threw me for a loop. The best dang snorkel I ever had!

DetroitDiver - you know, I wondered that same thing :D. I guess it was tipped backward enough just for the cap to slide up and let water in. I got lazy cuz I normally don't use it, and kind of just ever-so-gracefully clipped it loosely to the mask strap. I eventually fixed it :rolleyes:.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom