OK to Bring Cigars into Cozumel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jefe, we have a dishwasher at our place, but I don't think she uses those tablets...

You never took me up on those drinks at la casa, but I can probably hook you up with something you'll find smokeable. What do you like to smoke in the US?

Well, honestly I have sort of be trying to keep them as a vacation indulgence. I was kind of a fan of the Drew Estate stuff, which I guess makes me non-traditional.

And I am sorry about not getting over there. I mean I am all about drinking free maragaritas. Do you ever go to Coz with the plan to do a few certain things and before you know it you are coming home and they didn't get done? Heck I finally went to Mescalitos this trip for the first. STILL haven't been to San Gervasio. You down in July at all?

Are you sure that's even legal in Mexico yet?

That's a churro. Learn the local euphemisms. :hippy:

---------- Post added June 12th, 2014 at 07:20 PM ----------

So, if you need a snifferer to find you Real Cuban cigars, I could be hired as a Cuban Cigar sniffing consultant..

Double S

How is the sniffer on locating Margs with good tequila? You can do that too and we can start negotiating a salary!

How is the sniffer on locating Margs with good tequila? You can do that too and we can start negotiating a salary!

My super powers are limited to Cuban Cigars, good perfume and fresh baked goods..... Since Tequila and I had an argument on the East Side several years ago I no longer partake..(The Tequila won)
Double S

honestly I have sort of be trying to keep them as a vacation indulgence

Those special tablets for the "dishwasher", you mean?

Do you ever go to Coz with the plan to do a few certain things and before you know it you are coming home and they didn't get done?

Every. Time.

Heck I finally went to Mescalitos this trip for the first.

I know it's touristy, but I really quite like it.

[video=youtube;zmdGXU8NOQ0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmdGXU8NOQ0[/video]

STILL haven't been to San Gervasio.

You probably should. That way, you don't have to do it again!

You down in July at all?

I actually have to work for a while, so it's looking like not until September.

In 1874 (no, that's not a typo!) Clyde Luther Goodrich wrote a short booklet about the reasons to move to Cozumel. In Chapter five, he says: "The tobacco leaf has been a staple product with the natives for some years, and the article has a reputation in the Havana market almost equal to Cuba tobacco. President Grant smokes his genuine 'Havanas' (so called) everyday, the tobacco for which was grown upon Cozumel, but for the lack of American commerce it has to pass through Cuba. Of course, the value is increased several hundred percent when it comes out from under the guns of Moro castle labeled with high-toned Spanish paper and bearing the name of some wily Cuban who perhaps bought it of our innocent Islander for 8 cents a pound! Cigars sell, on the island, at $10 per M which are equal in quality to those you buy at retail at 15 cents each in the cities of New Orleans or Saint Louis. We also make the choice brands of Havana cigarettes, the labels being furnished by the Cuban buyers."

Nothing new under the sun.

In 1874 (no, that's not a typo!) Clyde Luther Goodrich wrote a short booklet about the reasons to move to Cozumel. In Chapter five, he says: "The tobacco leaf has been a staple product with the natives for some years, and the article has a reputation in the Havana market almost equal to Cuba tobacco. President Grant smokes his genuine 'Havanas' (so called) everyday, the tobacco for which was grown upon Cozumel, but for the lack of American commerce it has to pass through Cuba. Of course, the value is increased several hundred percent when it comes out from under the guns of Moro castle labeled with high-toned Spanish paper and bearing the name of some wily Cuban who perhaps bought it of our innocent Islander for 8 cents a pound! Cigars sell, on the island, at $10 per M which are equal in quality to those you buy at retail at 15 cents each in the cities of New Orleans or Saint Louis. We also make the choice brands of Havana cigarettes, the labels being furnished by the Cuban buyers."

Nothing new under the sun.
The prices are a little higher. Just on a whim, I checked the cigar shop on Melgar near 3rd to inquire about a pack of cigarette-sized Montecristos that I had enjoyed in Havana a while back (2002) for $5 or $10 a pack or something equally reasonable. To my utter surprise, they wanted $150 US!

Yes, I always bring my own stash of cigars, usually around 10 for a 3 - 4 day long wkend.
Love to smoke 'em in the afternoon & evenings, after the morning dives.

Only places I'll buy Cuban cigars in Cozumel is Havana store in town & duty free store at the airport. Believe most, if not all other places, are fake Cubans...

Back
Top Bottom