OK to miss Klein Bonaire?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes - You will miss some great reefs! Klein Bonaire has some truly breathtaking reefs that are quite pristine. I've been to 6 sites there, and the corals, sponges, and diversity of organisms were amazing. I also saw a Loggerhead Turtle that was longer than I was. Do not miss Klein Bonaire!!!

I also saw a Loggerhead Turtle that was longer than I was. Do not miss Klein Bonaire!!!

Either it was a leatherback turtle (which would be an exceedingly rare find anywhere on Bonaire other than maybe from a boat way, way offshore) or perhaps you're only 3-3.5ft tall?

turtle%20size%20comparison%20copy.jpg
Most turtles seen on Bonaire are Green or Hawksbill. And - other than during nesting season - are usually juvenile or subadult. Loggerheads typically only visit during nesting season. (Jan-April)

Sea Turtle Conservation Bonaire :: Home :: Explore :: Bonaire's sea turtles

I saw a large loggerhead at Klein a few years back as well. It was June. The turtle was tucked in a ledge in the reef at about 50 feet, and was huge. The DM, Murphin, from Buddy Dive, said she had been there for a while.

Dive was on the SE end of the island. Don't remember the name.

Just as there are many many sites on Bonaire to shore dive, there are also many many sites on Klein Bonaire. Each site has something varied to offer. So the simple answer would be yes, however if you're only down for a week or so it really makes little difference in the scheme of things. Personally I prefer the dive sites at Klein, but it's a matter of preference. To really get to know these sites, you have to dive them multiple times.

I would stick to Bas at VIP. He is a great guy and they will show you the good stuff. They have a top notch dive operation and if you are only there for a week and its your first time, there is so much to see just from shore. You go north or south and its completely different diving. If you can head to the East coast, it does not get any better than that. We were just there for the 3rd time in March, and when we dove the east coast, we seen over 100 tarpon, 12 spotted eagle rays and a lot of turtles. It does not get better than that. We had 3 spotted eagle rays in formation that came 20 feet from us. Its not always calm enough to dive east coast but they will let you know if its fit or not. If you like tarpon, do a night dive at Buddy Dive. That's really cool.
One other thing is, the last day you can't dive before you fly, we do the snorkel trip on the WOODWIND. They take you to Klien and the water is so clear and you see all kinds of everything. Dee is always on the boat and she is AWESOME!!!!

We just back from Bonaire and we did two dives at Klein with Dive Friends. I would say you can easily skip those - they were pricy and the reefs look identical to most shore dives on Bonaire minus shore entry. Just IMO.

We just back from Bonaire and we did two dives at Klein with Dive Friends. I would say you can easily skip those - they were pricy and the reefs look identical to most shore dives on Bonaire minus shore entry. Just IMO.

I guess with just two dives on Klein that you have not had a chance to see Klein....I have 110 dives on Klein, and still see new things.
There are some really interesting sites there, like Ebo's Special with a little cavern that usually has a good-sized nurse shark in it, or the sites where there are large stands of staghorn coral. And, in general, the coral is in really good shape.

If shore diving Klein was an option i would probably agree. But when you factor in $55 per tank on a boat and site selected by the crew it just doesn't make much sense.

If shore diving Klein was an option i would probably agree. But when you factor in $55 per tank on a boat and site selected by the crew it just doesn't make much sense.
Buddy Dive goes there for $30/dive (if you are on their gas package), and the passengers select the site, weather/currents permitting.

Hm, it was a higher rate for non Buddy clients and they could not tell us whether the boat would end up on Klein or one of the northern sites.

Back
Top Bottom