Oldest Dive shop in Orange County

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Doxa divers watch was introduced to the US market in 1968 by US Divers.

It was marketed in three models;
7268 Professional - orange face
7269 Shark hunter - black face
7270 Sea Rambler - silver face

Doxa Dive watches were not produced in Yellow or Blue faces=Please do not attempt to rewrite the very short history of recreational diving

Retail price - $150.00
17 Jewel movement
Self winding
Tested to 990 feet
Tritium luminous dial

When the Doxas were introduced a Rolex Sub Mariner could be purchased retail for about $180, vs the $150 for the Doxa.

Tommy Thompson (La Co UW instructor) was the PR for US Divers who made a personal effort to insure every OC instructor was wearing an Orange faced Doxa by making an offer that could not be refused- Wholesale right out the back loading dock, as I recall about half price. With in a short time just about every LA Co UW Instructor from OC was sporting a Orange faced Doxa watch.

The unique factor that makes this early model so unique and valuable as a collectors watch was the US Divers double hose regulator logo on the face of all models- later models and the one illustrated in this thread by fnfalman does not have the logo. , The type Doxa watch presented to Clive by shop owners Dick Spencer, Omar Wood and Ron Merker (LA Co UW instructor) was an Orange faced Doxa with a US Divers logo. He then departed the dive shop after he had published his first novel for a brighter future in authoring books, and what a wild ride it has been!.

The same year, 1968 the new kid on the block, SCUBA Pro imported small compass #510, $6.00 and a matching thermometer #520 $6.00,both with black faced dials. The compass and the thermometer slipped over the watch band. Most in that era also wore these instruments in conjunction with their watches. The sign of a diver of the era.

Ron Merker certified Clive as an LA Co basic diver, I certified him as a basic NAUI diver, PADI was several years in the future. After all these good and great years all remain in contract by occasional letters. Clive has a very unique stamp, it has his picture on it and so far has never been cancelled by USPO.

For those interested in the Doxa may I recommend a book titled "DOXA Sub -forty years 1967-2007" by Dr. Peter McClain Millar, self published 207 glossy fact filled pages, $150.00. The first page is a picture of a Doxa Sub with the US Divers logo, a few pages over is a picture of Clive wearing a Doxa Sub with the US diver's logo.

I published very little in my chosen profession, but I made up for it in diving articles. 4 dedicated columns ( actually 5 - The French Magazine never paid me after 3-4 submissions so I dropped them) plus the first dedicated diving column in a US news paper. also I was the only person to publish articles, be on the cover and be honored as the first guest editor of Skin Diver Magazine.

SDM

Doxa Dive watches were not produced in Yellow or Blue faces=Please do not attempt to rewrite the very short history of recreational diving

SDM

I think he was just saying he liked Doxa watches and was not trying to rewrite diving history. Speaking of rewriting dive history, do you still claim to be LA County Instructor 11? If you do, then is that an egregious rewriting of dive history and a slap in Dick Luippold's face?

Last edited:
The Doxa divers watch was introduced to the US market in 1968 by US Divers.

It was marketed in three models;
7268 Professional - orange face
7269 Shark hunter - black face
7270 Sea Rambler - silver face

Good for them. I don't care about older Doxa watches. They suck compared to the current ones.

What are you talking about? Where did I say that Doxas were made in different colors back in the days. But they are now. I have a blue, a yellow and two oranges.

---------- Post added September 22nd, 2013 at 01:50 AM ----------

Speaking of rewriting dive history, do you still claim to be LA County Instructor 11? If you do, then is that an egregious rewriting of dive history and a slap in Dick Luippold's face?
Well, well, well...ain't that something?
I wonder which book did Clive Cussler cover this claim in?

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't think that post was any more of a personal attack than any other in the thread. I did learn a new phrase though. Good Golly Damn. I can't wait to use that one. :)

What are you talking about? Where did I say that Doxas were made in different colors back in the days. But they are now. I have a blue, a yellow and two oranges.

Holy cow fnfalman, what do you do for a living that you can afford 4 DOXA watches? I can't afford one on a teacher's salary. :D

I'm a high class gigolo.:dork2:

Is that the same as a treasure diver?

---------- Post added September 28th, 2013 at 10:42 AM ----------

Does anyone know the history of the mysterious Openwater Habitat in Santa Ana. The few times I've gone there I was not impressed with this shop and no one I know goes there. Still it's a prominent building and seems to survive somehow.

Back
Top Bottom