Oly 550/PT 037 - Weighting

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Blox

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi guys:

I've recently bought a PT-037 housing for my Oly 550. Despite what the ads said, the housing is not neutral under water. My housing came without any ballast, to make it neutral, so right now, it's floaty as heck. I'm thinking about making a DIY weight for it, but am lacking information how much weight is required to make the rig neutral.

I could certainly tinker with it in the pool and figure it out with trial and error, but I was hoping that somebody already had the problem, found the solution, and would be willing to provide the information.

I'm only diving saltwater, basically, so would prefer the amount of lead/weight required for that environment, but freshwater ballast required would help and be appreciated too.

brgds

I also bought the same camera recently. I used the screw-on weight from my old oly but it wasnt enough. the housing manualy indicates that oly sells the weight for the pt-037 separately. I guess i have to order one.

With my Oly 550/037 and my Sealife digital flash I had to add one pound. Now it's just ever so slightly positive. (maybe one once)

Mafiaman:
With my Oly 550/037 and my Sealife digital flash I had to add one pound. Now it's just ever so slightly positive. (maybe one once)

how did you attach it? on the tray?

Hi Jigo,

jigo:
I also bought the same camera recently. I used the screw-on weight from my old oly but it wasnt enough. the housing manualy indicates that oly sells the weight for the pt-037 separately. I guess i have to order one.

How much does the weight from your old Oly weigh?

I've searched the net quite extensively, and found somewhere a post of a 550 user who said that he balanced the rig out with abt 240 grams in saltwater

Buying the Oly supplied weights would be an option, ofcourse, but I'm somewhat pissed off, that the ads say "neutral" under water, without stating that you have to spend another 30 - 40 bucks on the weights to achieve that.

i dont remember how much it weighs exactly. cant be more than half a pound though. maybe 4-8 ounces.

jigo:
how did you attach it? on the tray?

I used soft weight and zip tied it ti the flash tray.

Mafiaman:
I used soft weight and zip tied it ti the flash tray.

thanks. sounds like a good idea once i get strobes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom