Olympus xz-2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KF LEONG

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
The facebook link doesn't appear to work. Maybe you didn't allow everyone to see them?

is there anyway to just attach picture here?

---------- Post added November 14th, 2013 at 11:28 PM ----------

i allowed the photos to be viewed in FB. please try again. thanks

---------- Post added November 14th, 2013 at 11:35 PM ----------

samples of ZX-2 ambient light photos

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...386.1073741829.100005493425964&type=1&theater

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...386.1073741829.100005493425964&type=1&theater

Pari Island KFLEONG 2013.jpg
xz-2 + PT054 housing
ambient lighting/snorkelling
edited with PhotoScape

My suggestion would be the addition of a filter and to also use it more to fine tune your adjustments. Now I'm not trying to hijack your thread however I am curious as to what the dial on the back of the camera is for and if not being able to access it through the housing is an issue? I ask because I am considering purchasing one.

Can I ask what level of experience you have with underwater photography? Also need to know what settings you used - i.e. were you in 'Auto' mode, 'Underwater' mode, manual mode, aperture mode, etc, what was your F stop, shutter speed and ISO?

How deep were you?

The XZ-2 is a great camera but like any camera if it isn't set up or used correctly you wont get the results you want. Plus you really need to think about getting at least one decent strobe. Basically as you descend the water column once you go past 3m you start to loose your reds from the colour spectrum and the deeper you go the rest of the colours disappear until you have blue and then black.

To bring back the colours you need either a strobe to provide artificial light or use red filters and do manual white balance every time ascend or descend by a meter.

The above is also true for horizontal distance - i.e. the further the subject is away from the camera the colours are lost in the water so if using filters and doing manual white balance you need to be very close to the subject, whereas with a strobe/s you have a bit more of a working distance.

Hope this helps.

Karl

Karloss : thanks for the comment. the housing cannot control the dial but it is possible to control almost all functions. I practice only necessary functions before going into water. I found the buttons very easy to control. with the price I pay for the housing and camera, I am happy with it. considering getting a filter for ambient WA.

---------- Post added November 18th, 2013 at 01:36 AM ----------

Karl. thanks for the comment.
it was my first time using UW camera. i have purchased a strobe but save it for diving trip next month.
i kept depth around 3m for this snorkelling trip. I have no prior experience in UW photography. for ambient lighting photography...I found UW Mode is the best for this camera. I use manual mode all the way. havent tried all the modes yet. to excited when I found the UW mode produces great photo..well at least to me. I think this camera can do better. f1.8 1/500s ISO100..which I mentioned in my FB page.

Last edited:
Personally I wouldn't recommend using UW Mode as it adds too much red back into the image and you never get the true colour for what you see.

I also think that the F Stop of F1.8 isn't the best either as it is letting in a lot of light hence the need for a shutter speed of 1/500 and your depth of field is going to be very shallow and therefore there will be a lack of sharpness.

Perhaps look at having an F Stop of a mid level range (I am unsure of the smallest F Stop you can get on the XZ-2) and reduce the shutter speed.

Karl

Karl..I will try that during the next trip. water was choppy with a bit current on a cloudy day..drizzling too..not a good outing . it is monsoon season at that part of south east asia. kinda hard to stay still during snorkelling. anyway...cheers
xz2 can go down to f8 for your info. I choose 1/500 because on my LCD the blue tint looks nice. hahaha.

shrimp edited F8 1000s ISO100.jpgcoleman diff angle.jpg

XZ-2 is amazing!!! but taking video is a bit tricky.
samples of photos from my 1st UW photography trip to Anilao, Philippines

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom