Omniswivel Gas Switch in Cold Fresh Water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MattPSI

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm planning to do some dives this summer in Clear Lake in Oregon. Supposedly the temp typically varies between 35-44 degrees F. I have a OTS Guardian FFM with pony tank and Omniswivel gas switch. I'm wondering if anyone has experienced icing on the gas switch block during very cold water dives. It seems that ice could prevent moving the switch if it were to collect heavily. I'm guessing it is not a likely scenario, but please weigh in if you have any experience with it. Thanks!

should be negligible adiabatic cooling in the manifold block due to no significant pressure drop. I would not be concerned. Icing occurs when the pressure drop from the first stage to IP or the second stage to ambient, and the water flow around that block needs to be there to warm it back up. At the surface the first stage is the problem child because it is exposed to the air instead of being fully submersed, and while diving it is the second stage since it has moisture from your breath but no water to warm it back up.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom