OMS Comfort Harness Assembley question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

markmm

Registered
Reaction score
I have just purchased an OMS Comfort Harness with STA. Problem is that when I attach the wing to the plate the top of the power inflator (the bit that attaches to the wing) gets compressed and creates a small U bend in order to get this to then go around and up the shoulder straps. Sorry wish I had a picture!

When i look at the wing (warning side towards me) the power inflator points down. The wing also has three small holes at the top and three at the bottom. I have threaded the STA through the middle of the holes. The only way I have been able to reduce the bend is to thread the STA through the lowest of the three holes (top and bottom). What I don't get is:

1. Am I doing something wrong?
2. What is the difference moving the STA (and therefore plate) up and down the wing on the three holes, presumabbly there is an effect on trim?
3. Surely they thought about this when attaching the plate to the hole so am I making too much of this?

Merry Christmas!
Mark

Mark,
Is it possible that you may need only unscrew the coupling ring of the B/C inflator hose to the B/C and reposition it?

If this eliminates the problem, be careful in reattaching the coupling ring. Those things are made of plastic, have relatively fine threads, and are very, very easy to cross-thread and create a leak.

the K

I did try unscrewing it, moved it around but it did not really help it just creates a u bend in a different direction. Thanks for the tip but now you have me worried :). I did find it a little difficult to screw back on. Is there a good way to test this (apart from diving?). Presumably I can just inflate the wing and see if it stays inflated?

Mark

Sure!

Make up a soapy water solution.
Orally inflate the wing until it's pretty tight.
Pour some of the soapy water on the coupling.
Any resulting bubbles will indicate a leak.

I'm still confused on how this "u-bend" is coming about. The hose should be routed straight up over the left shoulder and held in some fashion to the left harness shoulder strap.

the K

OK, if I offend your intelligence, please forgive me.

The inflator hose coupling goes on the side away from the divers body, that is, on the surface side as the diver is in a horizontal attitude.

the K

No offence at all! :) I'm amazed at your quick responses. Difficult to get emotion in posts.

I think the OMS wing that I have "the 45 lbs bungeed" the hose is not on the surface side. But I agree, it is wierd as all other bc i have used the hose is indeed on the surface, maybe it is a peculiarity with the OMS.

thanks.
Mark

Perhaps an OMS diver will jump in here in a few.

Even so, the 90 degree elbow on the wing in the top picture needs to be roated approximately 135 degrees counter clockwise to be oriented correctly.

All bladders with which I'm familiar have the 90 degree elbow on the top/surface side of the bladder.

the K

Hey mark i had the exact same setup with the exact same problems i had to switch the inflator hose with the dump valve on the back of the wing, so now the warning label is faceing the tank not your back. some of these wings come with the inflator on the back and over your shoulde and some dont. I talked to many people who have changed these, no problem.

Mark,

Which way does the end of the elbow point...The end that is connected to the inflator hose...not where it connects to the wing....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom