OMS hot dipped galvinized cylinders...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LUBOLD8431

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Anyone see the new IMMERSED mag? Got mine today, and the inside cover is an ad for OMS's new cylinders... yup, they have galvanized cylinders now, supposedly...

I was wondering if anyone has heard any info on this. Who makes these cylinders (are they getting them from PST I wonder?) Or has Faber finally realized that painted cylinders dont last that long? I would love to hear the inside scoop on this... ANY info would be great.... Thanks...

A little more info is available on the OMS site. They look like Fabers.

Yeah, they looks exactly like the full page ad they had in IMMERSED....

I would like to know more...

I was pissed when I saw the ad myself, being an owner of two OMS 98s. So, not only have they announced that their new hot-dipped galvanized tanks are the cat's a$$, they go out of their way to point out why painted tanks suck.

:upset: THANKS OMS, you JERKS!!!!:upset:

If you knew that galvanized tanks were so much better, then why did you sell crappy painted ones in the first place?!?

If I knew better two years ago when I bought my tanks, I'd have gone to a different shop that carried PST.

:upset: A pox on OMS!:upset:

OK, sorry, had to vent a little. :wink:

I'm right there with ya buddy...

As the owner of two sets of 112's doubles... I know how you feel.... I bought mine almost five years ago though, so I cant complain as loudly as you...

Never had any pproblems with my painted OMS 98 doubles.Even when chipped and where the new hydro stamp are .They are 7 yrs old with maybe 200SW dives and 100 FW .My 6yr old Fabers on the other hand are currently coated with 7 coats of cold galvanizing and 2 coats of marine clear epoxy cause they suck.If I think about diving they would rust.

If you knew that galvanized tanks were so much better, then why did you sell crappy painted ones in the first place?!?
OMS didn't know. It was only after they hired some guys from Halcyon that they saw the light.

Sorry, I couldn't resist bait like that. Actually, OMS tanks have always been galvanized, but they were spray galvanized then painted instead of hot dipped. So they've just changed the galvanization to a better process.

Back to Lubold's question. From what I have been *told* (insert standard disclaimer language here), Faber is still making the steel tanks, but they're hot dipping in the aftermarket. It isn't terribly difficult to find a shop that will hot dip. I suppose I could verify that if you're terribly curious about the source.

The hot dipped tanks are coming from Faber. They are the same tanks as the current series with the exception that they are arriving with some sort of prep coat on them, and OMS is then hot dipping them. The dipping is being done in a newly retrofitted warehouse at OMS. The real kicker is that eventhough they have the inside cover of immersed and they have been in various other advertisements as well as all over the web... they don't have any for sale yet. And even better... they don't know exactly when they will. This is at least what the lady at OMS keeps telling us. They are hinting towards the middle of May, but we will see.

I'm waiting to test a pair out myself.

TDS

From what I understand, (I asked my father Ph.D. chemistry) that either spraying or hot dipping, if done correctly, will give a good result. It is not that one is necessarily superior to the other. The old OMS tanks were spray galvanized, the an epoxy primer is applied, then an polyurethane final coat.

Robert:doctor:

Flame spray, or metallizing, has been around for years. Divers in southern CA have been carting their favorite mil surplus double 38's to San Diego Sandblasting since at least the 60's. I have several such tanks myself. I also own some Faber galvo/painted tanks. First of all, flame spraying is FAR better than paint alone but not nearly as durable as hot dip galvo. Nonetheless, a sprayed tank will usually go at least 5 years before some bleed through of rust is apparent. At this point, there is no probably no serious problem but the tank should be redone when rust streaks begin to resemble a mothballed merchantman. A sprayed tank has a porous, somewhat roughened surface, ideal for folks that like to sling their tanks up and over. It takes new paint well if primed. However, IMO they do better if not painted. IMO also, Faber paints the tanks for cosmetic purposes. Unfortunately, the stuff flakes off if you look at it too hard. Moreover, minute pin holes start a pocket of corrosion which can lead to rust. Shades of the 60's when PST tanks were internally expoxied. That didn't work out too well either. If you paint a metallized tank, make the first coat Zinc Rich/CRC or similar. Make it the second coat, too.

Back
Top Bottom