On-line classes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There is no one way that works best for everyone when it comes to training. Offering courses online just gives another avenue for people to use. They still get plenty of interaction with the instructor & fellow students when they get to the water. I really don't see the big deal, online scuba classes have been going on for at least 2 years that I know of. SDI started it and others are seeing the benefit and starting their own. It makes perfect sence in todays world. If we want more people involved in diving, we need to provide as many ways to get them involved as possible.

scubajcf:
... Do you really think people will want to take scuba lessons online? It is supposed to be fun. It is a social environment. And, in many cases, they want to be taught by an instructor. Do you think, at least in the short term (next 3 years), online will be a popular choice, or do you think it will be a choice of convenience for people who have akward work/family schedules or are technogeeks?
jcf

Yes, people want easy buttons. They want to be able to get the book work out of the way. I think a few out there would even prefer to skip the book work if they could. Look at how many divers get certified at resorts every year. If they could just go diving, they probably would. Online learning allows them to complete part of the course at their own leisure. Sure, scuba is a social environment, but newbies don't know that. It doesn't become that until they've been doing it for a while. Besides most of the teaching should be done in the water anyway. Provide the foundation in the book and apply it in the water while expanding on it. That's how people will learn and remember it. To simply go over KRs in the classroom and test them doesn't lead to retention. Putting it to use does. If done that way, online scuba lessons will be a big hit.

I got my OW through SDI, now merged with SSI. The course was on-line. I could have never found the time to do the classroom course, but could do the online course at my convenience. The course was set up in such a way that you had no choice but to read the material. I wanted to learn, so I did. Of course, subsequently there was hands on in the pool and in the ocean. I still have the book and refer back to it on occasion. Glad it happened this way, because having gotten my certification, I am loving it.l

Thanks, shellim123. The linked worked...I was hoping for a few other courses but didn't find what I was looking for.

dk2943:
I got my OW through SDI, now merged with SSI. The course was on-line. I could have never found the time to do the classroom course, but could do the on line course at my convenience. The course was set up in such a way that you had no choice but to read the material. I wanted to learn, so I did. Of course, subsequently there was hands on in the pool and in the ocean. I still have the book and refer back to it on occasion. Glad it happened this way, because having gotten my certification, I am loving it.l

I'm so glade you love diving, Please keep it up, SSI and any other Certification program that trains by DVD or on line is only a base not the whole story. There is lots of missing information that only in instructor can give you , I'm sorry you are classified as the term we use "TO DUMB TO BE SCARED " all the seiner people that I know in the dive industry feel the same way and the only thing that on line programs in SCUBA does is screw up the training. Instructors and dive masters need to be born, and the Scuba stores and full time instructors are the only place for that, not by DVDs or a Computer . The future of Scuba is based on this issue. I hope you understand my view , and note I'm not sure how much you have learned on your own , but its always good to learn from your LDS it helps both parties ... Good luck :shakehead

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom