On my way to the dark side ;-) OMS harness + BP/W

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RebelXT

Registered
Reaction score
So I finally took the plunge and ordered the following OMS goodies:

IQ Pack
Alum and SS backplates
Single tank 32 lb wing
STA

Even though I didn't get a chance to dive this set-up, it fits perfectly in the shop. I like it better than Transpac in fact.

Question for the BP/W junkies: what weight pockets do you recommend? OMS no sag pockets look good but are rather expensive at 55$ each.

Regards,
Alex

I recommend a weight belt.

RebelXT:
Question for the BP/W junkies: what weight pockets do you recommend? OMS no sag pockets look good but are rather expensive at 55$ each.
Try the XS Scuba weight pockets or just use a weight belt. If you prefer the feel of a weight integrated BC, you might try the new OMS horizontal release weight pockets (BCA 270 Compact Quick Dump Weight Pocket)

RebelXT:

Question for the BP/W junkies: what weight pockets do you recommend? ...

How much weight are you going to be carrying?

If its a fair bit, I would personally recommend the DUI weight and trim II

I carry 28 lbs in mine, they are rated up to 40 lbs.

Good luck and enjoy the new gear.

Bjorn

Aside: Depending on your definition of 'dark side' the IQ harness probably isn't fully dark side approved :D

Bro, if you think its the dark side.....don't go! LOL Just stick with the weight belt, its just plain easier...leave the pockets for your tools and places to put bugs!

I'm just using a weight belt with a compensating buckle. It works great.

Arise Darth Rebel, the dark side has made you strong...

Just Kidding...

The BCA270 weight pockets that xskiguy recommended would do well. They might not carry enough weight for a dry suit but they're compact and cheaper than our larger BCA-IWP. Also, you can thread them onto nylon webbing with a buckle and they make a great weight belt.

Heres my .02 cents.
I use Trident pouches with a steel plate, threaded onto the harness and then held in place with a quick link to the backplate. I only need about 8-12 pounds with a 3mil and Al doubles. If you want to get away from dumpable weight pouches try looking at DSS, Tobin makes v-weights for backplates or look up Agri Bok they make a soft weight that goes between the bolts of either doubles or STAs.

phatso-29:
If you want to get away from dumpable weight pouches try looking at DSS, Tobin makes v-weights for backplates

I do? Thanks for the referral, but we do not make V weights. We do make a tail weight pouch, and bolt on weight plates for use on our Stainless Steel BackPlates.

Tobin

RebelXT:
So I finally took the plunge and ordered the following OMS goodies:

IQ Pack
Alum and SS backplates
Single tank 32 lb wing
STA

Even though I didn't get a chance to dive this set-up, it fits perfectly in the shop. I like it better than Transpac in fact.

Regards,
Alex

Just a reminder; If you choose to hang all your ballast on your rig, you may not have enough wing to float the rig. Pretty unlikely with a 32 lbs wing, but still worth checking.

If you split up the ballast, i.e. some on the rig, and the rest on your person (weight belt or weight harness) your wing does not have to float all the ballast if you ditch your gear.

Tobin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom