On-site dive op for Wyndham/Reef Club

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I booked a couple into the Wyndham last year and they thought they could "beat the system" by diving with a less expensive off-site dive operator. As it turned out the off-site operation with hard to find and not very accomodating, so they ended up diving with Sand Dollar Sports anyway, which they loved and are going back next week to stay at the Wyndham and dive with Sand Dollar.

Underwater photos of Cozumel by Scuba One Travel

I booked a couple into the Wyndham last year and they thought they could "beat the system" by diving with a less expensive off-site dive operator. As it turned out the off-site operation with hard to find and not very accomodating, so they ended up diving with Sand Dollar Sports anyway, which they loved and are going back next week to stay at the Wyndham and dive with Sand Dollar.

Underwater photos of Cozumel by Scuba One Travel

FYI...There is no "system" to "beat." Nothing against Sand Dollar, but people are free to choose the dive shop of their choice regardless of which hotel they are staying in. The onsite dive shops simply have concessions at these hotels. The only exceptions are Dressel/Iberostar ...they are under the same corporate umbrella. Scubaclub is also an all-inclusive hotel/dive op.

With that said, people successfully and happily dive with off site operators every single day

One of the great things about Cozumel is that you aren't limited to the hotel/dive travel packages. You can choose where you want to stay and choose who you want to dive with. You'll be hard pressed to find a Cozumel dive operator who doesn't offer pier pick-ups at virtually every condo, hotel or resort pier south of town.

Perhaps your clients just made a bad choice in selecting their dive operator and picked one that didn't match what they needed or wanted. But don't be mislead, or misinform your own customers (as you are a travel agent) into believing that they have to take a hotel/dive package in Cozumel. It may mean that you loose some commission if they don't book it that way, but with a happy client you can more then make up for it in repeat and referral business.

Sand Dollar is on site. They have a discount package with Wyndham and are a Cruise ship contract operator. Sundays ( no cruise ships) are the only time I as an experienced diver would consider them, and only if my 4-5 off site operators could not take me.

They are OK as a safe and efficient operation but because of schedules etc. they are very structured and bottom times are among the shortest I have ever had in Cozumel. They do have 1 small fast boat to take more advanced divers but space is limited and bring a hat there is no canopy for shade. There are lockers behind the shop for storage but they are just 18"x18" so if you put BC or wet suit it will not dry. Most who stay at Wyndham still lug everything back to the room every day.

You save a couple $ but you get what you pay for. Off site shops will pick you up, give you choice of dive sites, get longer bottom times, KEEP YOUR GEAR, dry it and have it set up for you.

PS. catch the Broadway show in the theater it is pretty good. I think its on Thur. or Fri nights.

I also heard the the onsite operator Sand Dollar even charges customers who stay the resort a pier pick-up fee if you use another shop. Can anyone verify?

John

I also heard the the onsite operator Sand Dollar even charges customers who stay the resort a pier pick-up fee if you use another shop. Can anyone verify?

John
Yes, $2.00PP/day. SDS paid to rebuild the pier after Wilma so it's their property - not the Wyndham's.

John

Yes, that is exactly what I said in another post on the subject. The pier does not belong to the resort...it belongs to Sand Dollar. Sand Dollar and the resort are two completely different companies. Sand Dollar simply has the concession at the resort, but they built and pay for the maintenance/fees for the pier. Only divers diving with Sand Dollar have free access to the pier. If not staying at the resort, you would have no reason to go to be picked up at this pier, so I'm not sure who else you think it wold apply to.

The charge is $3 per diver/day, not $2 and it was always Sand Dollar's pier...never belonged to the hotel.

They are OK as a safe and efficient operation but because of schedules etc. they are very structured and bottom times are among the shortest I have ever had in Cozumel.

I would have to say that I do not agree with this statement, having done numerous dives with them this week. They were pretty relaxed so long as you had a dive buddy. Our average dive was around 40-45 minutes.

There are lockers behind the shop for storage but they are just 18"x18" so if you put BC or wet suit it will not dry. Most who stay at Wyndham still lug everything back to the room every day.

True about the lockers, but very untrue about people staying at the Wyndham lugging things back. If you are staying there, you can leave ALL of your equipment with them and they wash it, clean it, fan dry it, and have it ready for you the next time you show up. I never had one problem with this, what so ever. They don't charge you, but rather ask that if you are satisfied that you leave a tip at the end of your stay for the guys in the back. I left a $15 tip, and NO lugging was involved.

PS. catch the Broadway show in the theater it is pretty good. I think its on Thur. or Fri nights.

This was a good show. I was very surprised how well they pulled everything off. Like loudives says, you should go see this!

Back
Top Bottom