One day to dive in the Galapagos. Should it be Gordon Rocks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaSmurf55

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey everyone,

We will be in the Galapagos (Puerto Ayora) for a couple of days but only have time to dive one day. I have been reading quite a bit about Gordon Rocks. My husband really wants to dive there to see the hammerhead sharks. I am a bit nervous about the currents and visibility. On a scale of 1-10, what would you rate both current and visibility? I have 60 dives, and my husband has 80 over 3 years with our most recent dive being in June in St. Criox. I would say most of our dives have been warmer water with some current but nothing too crazy. If you could only dive one day, which site would you do? We prefer larger sea life over small critters. We will be there in mid-September.

Thanks!

Hey everyone,

We will be in the Galapagos (Puerto Ayora) for a couple of days but only have time to dive one day. I have been reading quite a bit about Gordon Rocks. My husband really wants to dive there to see the hammerhead sharks. I am a bit nervous about the currents and visibility. On a scale of 1-10, what would you rate both current and visibility? I have 60 dives, and my husband has 80 over 3 years with our most recent dive being in June in St. Criox. I would say most of our dives have been warmer water with some current but nothing too crazy. If you could only dive one day, which site would you do? We prefer larger sea life over small critters. We will be there in mid-September.

Thanks!
Hi,

Yeah I can’t recommend Gordon rocks enough if you only have one day to dive. The currents were really manageable when we dived - if you go with a reputable operator they shouldn’t have you swimming into currents. I would say when we were there maybe 2/10. Vis was about 20m which was great. We saw a number of small hammerhead schools and were swimming alongside maybe 2ft away from a pair of male hammers who were swimming side by side.
Here is a still from the video . My wife said her dive at Gordon rocks was her favourite compared to any at Darwin and wolf due to the visibility. I was 50/50.

100% do it.

Kris
Hey everyone,

Thanks!

Attachments

• A1F8841F-40F9-4D3C-B1B0-808459F8F678.jpeg
    A1F8841F-40F9-4D3C-B1B0-808459F8F678.jpeg
    43 KB · Views: 64
Wow, great picture! Thank you so much for the response. We are leaning towards Gordon Rocks being our dive for this trip. I need to make a decision soon!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom