One of the few and not so proud... Bent in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The best thing is that you are still alive getting to type your story! I know your family is feeling blessed to be telling you the same. You should NOT even be worried about a feeling of shame! I certainly pass no judgement....had to watch my husband take a dive in the Cozumel chamber with your same doctors back in 2007. Do what he tells you to, not any of us! It will mean the difference of you diving again within a year or not at all! DAN also saved us loads of $$$$ for that chamber ride. NO SHAME!.... you can "pay it forward" by spreading the word to other divers to get DAN and how DAN helped you.
I'm so sorry this happened to you, but realize there could have been a much different thread about you here on ScubaBoard instead of one written by you! Feel blessed......take the time to relax and count your blessings in your life that you've been given a 2nd chance with....Good luck :)

I apologize, don't know much about being in a chamber, and have no idea if 5 minutes or 5 hours is typical.

I'm trying not to sound snarky, but really?? I don't understand how in your diving career up to DiveMaster and your upcoming GUE fundamentals you couldn't have been exposed to enough decompression theory to know that chamber dives are substantially longer then a 3 minute safety stop.

Just got back from seeing Dr. Piccolo, and he said I'm progressing well. No chamber rides for me today. I'm seriously considering leaving Thursday since he doesn't want me to do much at all. He also makes the case that DAN will reimburse me my hotel/divecosts from the date of the incident if my travel insurance doesn't. Might be hard to pass up as I could use that money to pay for my next trip.By the way, here is a rough estimate of my total bill for treatment in the chamber and hospital. Hospital is about 8100 pesos and the total chamber fees will be about $6,800 US. My total insurance cost between DAN and additional trip/medical insurance was about $200. I think I made a wise investment.

glad you are on the mend.
what sort of dive profile was it?

He apologized...!
I apologize, don't know much about being in a chamber, and have no idea if 5 minutes or 5 hours is typical.
Misunderstandings happen. Under stress he did indeed post 4' 45" so the confusion is understandable enough. I've never done a chamber ride either, nor been on a tour. We learn much of this by reading here, and now you know. :thumb:

I'm trying not to sound snarky, but really?? I don't understand how in your diving career up to DiveMaster and your upcoming GUE fundamentals you couldn't have been exposed to enough decompression theory to know that chamber dives are substantially longer then a 3 minute safety stop.

now that you mention it, I find it hard to believe that I didn't know that either, live and learn.

I am sorry to hear this. How long does a diver typically have to wait to dive again after recovering from the bends? If I learned this in the past, I don't recall:)

Nothing to be ashamed about getting bent. The more you dive the higher the probability it will happen.
Sorry it ruined your trip.

interesting point.
is it more likely that an inexperienced once a year holiday diver would have more chance of getting bent than someone who dives regularly?

interesting point.
is it more likely that an inexperienced once a year holiday diver would have more chance of getting bent than someone who dives regularly?

In terms of lifetime statistics, certainly not; however, on a single given dive--who knows?

There are many who believe that regular divers develop some kind of resistance to the factors leading to DCS. I have no idea if this is true, but there are some who believe it.

In terms of lifetime statistics, certainly not; however, on a single given dive--who knows?

There are many who believe that regular divers develop some kind of resistance to the factors leading to DCS. I have no idea if this is true, but there are some who believe it.

i guess 1 of the major factors giving regular divers resistance to dcs would be bouyancy control.

---------- Post Merged at 11:09 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 09:37 PM ----------

Surprisingly enough, it's more common to get bent at the beginning of a trip.

Assuming the dive was reasonably executed, there is nothing to be ashamed of about being bent. All decompression algorithms are risk-mitigation, not risk nullification devices. Although it isn't common, people do get bent when diving within their no-deco limits, and executing proper ascents. I hope you share that information with us, when you are feeling better.

i hope so too

---------- Post Merged at 11:32 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 09:37 PM ----------

is there any chance that the op is going to tell us why he got bent?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom