One SPG only..?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jonnythan:
Tank o-rings are slooooow leaks :wink:.. but point taken. So we need to shut down the manifold.

Not always true. I have seen 2 tank 0 rings extrude. Both times it was due to corrosion in aluminum to valve interface and both cases tank sat quietly cooling after filling for a period of time before loud crack and hissing ensued.
Would hate to have that happen on a dive.

This certainly has been an interesting thread. I think Jeff (Spectre) has done a an excellent job of answering questions. Here's my point of view on the various discussions in this thread.

I think we can all agree, any equipment failure and the dive is over.

Now, for the specific question that started this thread. Why do I think a second SPG is not needed? It's very simple in my mind. If I have to shut down the post feeding the SPG, that is an equipment failure and the dive is over.

What am I going to do when that happens? I'm heading for the nearest source of gas just in case I need it. What is that source of gas? Usually my buddy, but if there is another diver closer, that's who I'm heading for. Do I care if I'm going to go OOA? No. Why? Simple, I already have thumbed the dive due to an equipment malfunction and I'm heading for the nearest gas.

Now, what happens if the nearest gas is my 80% O2 as presented as one scenario and I'm not supposed to use it below 30ft? If I go OOA before I reach 30ft, then I'll take my chances with Oxtox. I'd rather be breathing something than not breathing at all. At least I will stand a chance of getting out alive than giving up and dying because I wasn't smart enough to go for the nearest gas.

Bottom line for me is, do what you need to do to survive. No need to panic. Take is nice and easy, you'll use less gas. I did not cover a solo dive here because I personally do not believe in doing solo diving below 60ft, consequently, diving doubles, one tank is plenty to get me safely out of the water from 60ft.

Quarrior:
...If I have to shut down the post feeding the SPG, that is an equipment failure and the dive is over.

What am I going to do when that happens? I'm heading for the nearest source of gas just in case I need it. What is that source of gas? Usually my buddy, but if there is another diver closer, that's who I'm heading for.
I understand your thinking, but really, this response to an equipment failure or OOG emergency is not what DIR is all about. You should always head for your buddy, and your buddy should always be close enough to get to. I would never want to have to share air with some random diver. I trust my buddy. I have no idea how an unknown diver is going to react if I need to share that person's gas.

Quarrior:
I did not cover a solo dive here because I personally do not believe in doing solo diving below 60ft, consequently, diving doubles, one tank is plenty to get me safely out of the water from 60ft.
It's good that you left out your views on solo diving, because this is, after all, the DIR forum.

WJL:
I understand your thinking, but really, this response to an equipment failure or OOG emergency is not what DIR is all about.
You're right, it's not DIR. My whole post is in response to all or most of the "what ifs" posted in this thread, most of which are not DIR or even make sense.

You should always head for your buddy, and your buddy should always be close enough to get to.
Agreed.

I would never want to have to share air with some random diver. I trust my buddy. I have no idea how an unknown diver is going to react if I need to share that person's gas.
I can't agree with that one. I'll take gas from whoever has it. Even if it's just long enough to get to my buddy who for some reason wasn't where I thought he/she was.

It's good that you left out your views on solo diving, because this is, after all, the DIR forum.
I'm well aware this is the DIR forum. I usually try not to post in here, but, this time I felt compelled to because the topic originally posted was a worthwhile topic and the thread degenerated into what it has become. I was hoping to bring it back on track by giving a very simple answer to as many of the "what ifs" as I could.

My bottom line message is, regardless of the problem, the dive is over and you don't need to know how much gas you have. OOA or OOG is the least of my concerns at that point. I'm heading to my buddy and telling them there is a problem and we'll handle it together. Just common sense.

Spectre:
Ok I changed my mind and removed all the philosophical stuff from my response, since there isn't any convincing people of that.

Let me just go with direct, since I know you'll figure it out from this. Two questions:

1) Are you comfortable doing an s-drill... being without gas for a little bit until your buddy can donate to you?

2) If you are properly weighted... do you need your pressure guage to tell you when you are running low on gas?

I see your point Jeff, it's well taken. To take the point to an extreme, would you say that, in a cave, there's really no point in checking your pressure gauge once you turn around and start to head out?

Spectre:
You missed my point of my story. It was asked "to "who or what tells you that you stay cool if a calmity occurs?", and I was explaining that you can make an educated guess as to your ability to keep cool by looking at how you respond to problems:

"With experience comes confidence; as things happen you judge your reaction to them and make a call in post dive analysis if you were within your personal limits, close to them, or over them."

But to play along with your game, what would happen if I had a massive freeflow. Well, I'd probably have quit diving if I survived... I was in a single 80.

The question you asked was:

"Do you stick to your plan, or head up to 30feet so you can switch to your deco gas when back gas fails."

That was the question I was answering... "Where's your buddy".

You can throw enough failures to destroy any plan. What if your buddy then has their own freeflow and has to shut down a post? Right... your f-ed; you take your chances to get out the best you can. That's the point of the comment about not being able to anticipate for every failure.

That's why there are some dives you only do with some buddies, the buddies you trust unequivocally to cover your ***.

Adding an SPG doesn't give you any more gas. It's as simple as that. Your buddy has enough gas to get you out from the turning point; so your buddy has enough to get you out when your tanks end up empty. The second SPG doesn't keep you close to your buddy.
i did get the point of your post and my reasoning came out the same as yours with the diving im doing an SPG isnt going to help me, i have options already. i was hoping someone would give a few more thoughts on it rather than saying proper gas planning wouldnt let this happen.

i took the dive you described added an equipment failure and made some assumptions doubles, deco gas, to deliberately screw up the plan, i was trying to find out if anyone still had a good reason for a scond SPG and no one did. if things had been a bit more extreeme maybe it would change things but maybe we should let sleeping dogs lie.

note i didnt argue for a second one at any point

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom