Ontario Insurance Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GTADiver

Contributor
Reaction score
On the dive boat on the weekend some divers mentioned that they could not get life insurance because they were divers. Another said that he pays an additions $2.50/$1000 coverage because he is a diver. I personally don't have life insurance other than mortgage insurance, but was wondering if this is a normal situation. Anyone have an experience with the issue of life insurance as an Ontario Diver?

If you apply for life insurance one of the standard questions asks if you engage in scuba diving. If you answer yes they will most likely send you another form in which you will have to describe the types of diving you do, frequency of dives and the level of training.

And most likely you will pay higher premiums

It really depends on the insurance company. Group life insurance and supplemental group life insurance purchased through your work will usually have no restrictions.

Independently purchased life insurance policies will usually ask about "dangerous sports" or something. There is usually a second form with additional information required. They may ask for additional premiums or add a rider or something else.

Boogie711 is absolutely right though. The insurance companies seem to be very afraid of wreck and decompression diving. Sign up before you take the course.

I've had little trouble. When my policy was due for renewal (every 10 years) last year, I wanted to make some changes. So with my agents advice we went through 'underwriting' on a new policy. There were some additional questions regarding diving (I don't recall for sure, but it might have been a separate form). They included certification level and max depth I've done. Also had to have some blood tests done, blod pressure checked, weighed. The company accepted it and I'm actually paying a lower rate now, than if I had just taken the renewal. According to the agent that's because they were able to determine my actual physical condition, rather than guessing based on my condition 10 years ago and age. We proceeded cautiously though. We started the paperwork on the new policy 3 months before the renewal. That way, if they declined the new policy, I could just renew the existing one as it had guaranteed renewal till age 70.

If it's any help to anyone out there, the policy is held my Maritime Life. They also treated me well 15 years ago, when I was injured and unable to work for a while. I had to make payments for the first 90 days after I was off work, but once that period had passed, they waived further payments till I was recoverd and sent me a refund cheque for the 3 payments I made while I was off.

I did run into problems when we tried to re-arrange our mortgage insurance over diving (didn't get declined, just gave up in fustration. although I think half of it was the agent). You have to watch banks mortgage insurance, they don't do 'underwriting' when you sign and start paying, they only do it if something happens. And if they decide you were a higher risk than they expected, they'll refuse to pay, which leaves you to fight with them.

As an financial advisor I would suggest that you look around at different companies. My policies are issued standard. Life, DI ad CI. Be honest on the application and make sure you are only listing your dives as per your training. PM me if you have any further questions.

Let me tell you folks something. Any insurance company that increases premiums or asks questions on SCUBA is bogus!
I was filling out a questionaire for life/home/disability insurance and the scuba question came up.
So I filled it out and sent it off for a quote......without scuba info.
Then........ I called my broker and asked them if he pays more for going on rollerblades, biking, skiing, swiming, even....water skiing...best yet...being in the sun!!!
Guess what.....nope!
Then I asked for a requote based on the fact that I dive.
He asked why I did not fill in that information in the first place.
Well I said if that if they do not charge more for those sports they can not charge more for diving as it is not proven to be a dangeous sport.

There is no evidence that diving increases the day to day risk compared to almost any other pastime.
So that being placed on their lap I said if they wanted to charge me more for something that is not proven to be a risk then I will take them to court in a class action suit........would that not make great news.........

Well look at what happened...they dropped the whole issue and gave me full insuance on a lower rate.....

So don't get bullied out there....stand your ground.

Diving is safer than most sports.........

Think about it.....do you get training wheels with roller blades..........do you automatically get sunscreen lathered on you the instant you exspose skin.......do you get so bundeled up when you go skiing that you look like a ball so you do not fall and hurt yourself........is there automatic brakes on any type of skis so you do not go too fast and hurt yourself........
Name me sports where you have more back up systems and such a buddy system for safety like you do in SCUBA.......

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom