oo, ooo, ooooo!!! Aircraft Carrier in FL, info?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rottielover

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I'm so exicited I can barely breath...

I just read on CNN that they are finally going to sink the USS Oriskany !!!

The CNN story says they are planning to sink her in about 210' of water, does anyone know about how deep that would make the top of her flight deck?

I don't want to penatrate, but I think it would be sooo cool to glide across the flight deck!

Anyone have any more info? Links to more info? Links to more threads about this?

Thanks in advance!

For all kinds of Oriskany information...

From the ScubaBoard Forum list scroll down.

Under the "Regional Travel & Dive Clubs", select the "United States" link under "North America" or click here http://www.scubaboard.com/forumdisplay.php?f=420

Choose the "Florida Conch Divers" or click here http://www.scubaboard.com/forumdisplay.php?f=55

Under "Threads in this Forum" hit "Search This Forum" option. Type in Oriskany into the field.

With that said. The flight deck is supposed to be around 130 feet. The top of the island (superstructure) is supposed around 60.

What I could come up with is it is 101 feet to the flight deck and 151 to the absolute top So if it sank in about 20 feet (have no idea how deep the keep would sink) that would put the deck about 130 and the top of the wheelhouse at about 81 feet.

darn.... I was hoping it was going to be a little taller of a ship... Oh well, good excuse to get the wife to do our AOW cert's...

With the viz in the ocean I bet it would still be a really fun dive to hang at say 80' or heck even 60' just to see it!

Lonefox:
100 Feet from what I can make out from this image. http://www.divemiami.com/images/oriskany_offshore.jpg

If you notice that is from the Miami group trying to sink the carrier. It's being sunk off Pensacola.

It'll be sunk in about 215 feet of water, which will put the flight deck at about 130 feet and the top of the island at about 65 feet.

These numbers derived from numbers given to me by the engineer for the sinking permit and the specs I got from the Oriskanny Museum.

Well it's no wonder that reporter's are going nutts, they probly don't know a thing about diving...

Sounds like it's going to end up more of a tech. diving site, rather than a rec. dive site, since 130' is gennerally agreed upon as rec. dive limit...

Oh well.. perhapse one day, further on in the future I may get to visit her...

Here I was all excited thinking they were going to put her a little closer to the surface...

Apparently they are planning to sink the Oriskany on Wednesday the 17th of May, would have been nicer on a weekend, but oh well. Phil is setting up a tour boat to go out and watch the sinking, from what I understand this will pretty much be an all day affair. He can take 30 souls total at $100.00 each, Deposit of $50.00 each for a total of $1500.00 must be paid by 10 March to guarantee the boat will be available. I am certainly going to try and go, but I am between jobs right now and won't be able to confirm for a few days yet.

I am including Phil's contact info for anyone interested, I expect this boat will fill fast, hundreds of shipmates and other interested parties are getting in on the act as we speak, big crowd by any estimation.

Phil is also in the process of setting up accommodations with a good rate and block of rooms...details to follow from him. I also understand there will be some sort of reception on Saturday the 13th as well.

Phillip Cartwright
President, Oriskany Reunion Association
P.O. Box 24
Augusta, AR 72006
(870) 347-1020 - Home
(501) 516-5824 - Cell

rottielover:
Well it's no wonder that reporter's are going nutts, they probly don't know a thing about diving...

Sounds like it's going to end up more of a tech. diving site, rather than a rec. dive site, since 130' is gennerally agreed upon as rec. dive limit...

Oh well.. perhapse one day, further on in the future I may get to visit her...

Here I was all excited thinking they were going to put her a little closer to the surface...

Well, get some additonal training and dive some more, and it will be well within your reach. Don't under-estimate the size of this ship. The superstructure is huge and will more than justify diving it. With more experience, you can cruise along the flight deck (and stay within the rec. limit) then when you come upon the NDL you can start examining the superstructure during the ascent. On the second dive you can hand out at the superstructure and admire the emminse object below you.

Back
Top Bottom