Open Water & Advanced Open Water - Private Coaching versus Group Coaching

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pinklizard:
Find someone living/teaching in Phuket. Since it is low season now, or at least going into it, it might be possible that you get a very low instructor-student ratio without paying the private supplement anyway.

But also make sure that the Instructor works for a reputable company and that he/she has a valid work permit. There are many Instructors living on Phuket who are not quite legit with the Thai regulations.

In agreement with Steven most DC's on Phuket could offer you 1 on 1 Instruction if you request it or at least small groups (2 - 4) should you decide to do the course with others.

Either way - enjoy it!

My personal view is go in a group of not more than 4 divers. You'll definitely need a buddy during the underwater drills, towing etc.

A buddy or a group will allow you discuss or refresh one another the part of the course and of course, you are not alone....as for what the rest have mentioned. Indeed there are DM, Instructors..etc who are not there on a valid work permit but on social visit pass instead where they frequently travel out of thailand off to a nearby country and make a U turn; something like that. But most important of all, the dive centre is still there.

I personally think no one even one without a valid work permit wishes anything to happen. Before you start your course; get the full name of that Instructor and certification and level if you wish to be "kia-su" haha

So if you are in a group; chances of the instructor freaking out in terms of any emergency; you are not the only one. And most of all, buy a good travel insurance.

I actually agrees with pink lizard....likely your course fee can be further negotiated as well.

gnojoey, you asked:

Hey all divers, an urgent question here!
Would you pay an extra of about USD62 for private coaching than group coaching for your OW and AOW? Any pros and cons?

Yes, I'd pay that. My primary dive buddy and I took our advanced class together, just the instructor, my buddy, and myself. We paid only $30 more each for the semi-private class over the regular group rate... but I'd have gladly paid twice that or more.

My instructor was Don Coleman of www.pacadventure.com . I see that he's still offering the private classes for just a little over regular cost. He's a terrific instructor, the teaching setting was relaxed, and the boat dives were great... still just three of us in the water.

I can't think of any cons.

Steve

Sweet. Thanks to all you divers out there for answering all my queries.
I have decided to postpone my break till May, since one of my colleagues has to go away on some company business, it won't be convenient for me to leave anyway.
Guess I would have to see some of you in Phuket later then! Can't wait to get there!
:wink:

Go to Adex, meet more people, get your OWC done, if you're going to Phuket in May, I might be able to dive and tag along with you :)

Yup, will definitely get down to ADEX. Even if I can't get any deals (LOL) for this coming trip, it's always good to meet the other divers there. :)
See you all at ADEX then. :wink:

gnojoey:
Hey all divers, an urgent question here!
Would you pay an extra of about USD62 for private coaching than group coaching for your OW and AOW? Any pros and cons?
Given the choice to do your OW & AOW all over again, where would you do it? Phuket or Phi Phi or somewhere else? Whether I should rush into doing my AOW or should I gain more diving experience first?
All answers greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Living on Phuket myself .. I agree off-season may onward is good time foe owd course, check with dive company for class size at that time ... you can always opt for private instruction ... If you will mostly be resort diving .. I'd say go ahead and get your AOW at the same time ... remember just because you complete this course does Not mean you are an advanced diver ... this will only happen with experience ... in varying dive conditions.

savemoneydiving:
Living on Phuket myself .. I agree off-season may onward is good time foe owd course, check with dive company for class size at that time ... you can always opt for private instruction ... If you will mostly be resort diving .. I'd say go ahead and get your AOW at the same time ... remember just because you complete this course does Not mean you are an advanced diver ... this will only happen with experience ... in varying dive conditions.

Thanks savemoneydiving! I'm still checking out the dive centres.
How's the weather over there so far? :)

How's the weather over there?..

H.O.T.

Had a thunderstorm last night and today is hot and hazy. April is normally like this. In May, anything can happen. Much more interesting weather.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom