Open Water Dives - 27.8lbs weight belt - did I get too much weight?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I even had the issue at a check dive on a recent dive trip in Marsa Alam. Everyone kneeled to do the skills, but i just couldn't get a stable position on my knees - I just kept falling forward and (slightly) up. So I tried to signal the DM that I would do the skills hovering, and started getting up from the sand. But the DM pulled me down again... Took him quite some time to understand that he should just give me some space and let me do them while hovering.

Interesting. It was probably a control issue. Might have been a new DM and didnt want you "floating away," I know I was like that when I first started teaching. Even so, I try to have my students hover as much as possible when they do an exercise so there is more of a real-life scenario. If they are having problems balancing, I will grab a hold of their BCD shoulder to let them know I am right there and subconsciously calms them down.

On a side note, if you were falling forward I'm guessing you had too much weight in your front. Maybe the weight shifted up or you had a lot of weight in your BC? I keep about 10lbs of lead on my tank strap so I avoid that problem. If yours dosent have that feature, you can buy a trim pocket that should do the trick. XS Scuba Trim Weight Tank Pouch WB101 with reviews at scuba.com Keep in mind that if you are diving warm water with not much weight, this will be unreachable should you need to jettison for an emergency ascent.

If all else fails, and though this probably doesnt apply to you anymore, you can always do the Captain Morgan pose! Having one leg back and one knee up is the best way to remove a weight system because it provides a sturdy platform. AND it makes you look cool! :rofl3:
150px-Captainlogo_2005.PNG

Back
Top Bottom