http://www.diveheart.org/

Opinion and Personality Surveys

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fisheyeview, if you don't want to participate in the study, don't. But don't use the time and effort of the people trying to collect the data by entering material that isn't consistent. This guy's on the up and up; they're trying to do some real research about scuba divers, which is rare because of the lack of funding in general. I think we should try to support them, rather than be difficult. There are easy ways to identify your surveys as yours (to the satisfaction and utility of the researchers) without revealing any information you would prefer to retain as private.

fisheyeview, if you don't want to participate in the study, don't. But don't use the time and effort of the people trying to collect the data by entering material that isn't consistent. This guy's on the up and up; they're trying to do some real research about scuba divers, which is rare because of the lack of funding in general. I think we should try to support them, rather than be difficult. There are easy ways to identify your surveys as yours (to the satisfaction and utility of the researchers) without revealing any information you would prefer to retain as private.

I was not trying to be difficult, nor was I trying to say I didn't want to participate. It's just that I get a little leery when the first two questions can be used by someone that know what they are doing as a part of identity theft. Having worked the mortgage business for several years I am cautious when it comes to personal information.

A mothers maiden name is one of the most common security questions asked to verify identity.

When the original poster posted the reason why these questions were included I had already participated in the surveys. Rather than have the survey data be a waste of the researchers time I posted to let them know what answers I had used to those questions in the hopes that the data would still be of value to them.

Where in my answer did I say that I did not want to participate?

"Here's how you will be able to tie all of mine together. For date of birth I answered either "refuse to answer" or "none of your business". For mothers maden name I answerd "refuse to answer", "none of your business" or "try to guess"."

I want everyone to feel free to answer any question any way they want - no recriminations. I appreciate any and all particpants. It would make my life a bit easier if you answer the same on all the forms....birthdate: noyb. mother's maiden name: ttg. that tells me all i need to know as long as you do it on all the forms. noyb on one and rta on another makes it difficult for me to tie them together, but even then it's better than not answering at all! So Thanks for helping out and you can be sure I will post the results (probably in Feb or March) or a link to results, on this forum, and will provide references if the research ever gets published anywhere.

Also, remember I will be happy to send you your personal personality profile if you ask me to. Pm me here or email me at psyskip@mtsu.edu.

thanks.
-skip

My first post in this thread stated:

"The NACD and me, Skip, the chair of the NACD's Science Committee is interested in gathering data on scuba diver's attitudes toward various gear configurations, and solo diving. We are also interested in the personality traits of scuba divers. "

Well, I overstepped my authority on this one and although I am chair of the NACD Science Committee, I am not authorized to use the NACD name or logo for any of the science projects....oops. Apparently, I was supposed to ask permission in writing and wait until the next Board meeting for a vote.

I am sorry, and now want to make it clear to everyone that the NACD is not involved in any way shape or form. The survey research is strictly mine, all mine, and is being conducted as part of my employment as a Professor of Psychology at Middle Tennessee State University (which has authorized the study and the surveys).

-skip

Back
Top Bottom