Opinion Needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MattDuVal

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I have purchased a Sony HDR-SR8 and the Amphibico AMDBSHDRSR7 Dive Buddy EVO HD Elite. I have yet to find anyone discussing this camera or housing. Anyone out there have an opinion on this set up? Also being very new to underwater video I would like to know if a light system will be a must on shallow 30-40 foot dives?

MattDuVal:
I have purchased a Sony HDR-SR8 and the Amphibico AMDBSHDRSR7 Dive Buddy EVO HD Elite. Anyone out there have an opinion on this set up?
The SR8 is pretty new so a lot of people don't have one yet for u/w video. Also a lot of us still prefer to shoot on tape.

Although if I didn't already have my setup, I'd seriously consider yours. I think it's just a matter of time before most video recording goes disk/solid state.

If you don't already have editing s/w make sure you get an NLE that supports AVCHD format as that's what your camera records in. Sony just released a patch for both Vegas and Vegas Movie Studio for it. I think the Pinnacle Studio products do also. Adobe Premiere CS2/3 - not yet afaik.

I like the EVO, mine has been rock-solid for the last 2 years. Nice thing is that it will fit in an airline approved roller bag if you want to carry it on. Although you get "sniffed" at every TSA checkpoint.

Anyone discussing an EVO is talking about your housing as well, the only change since they were introduced in 06' has been the addition of the monitor back. There's some comments and EVO reviews over on WetPixel.
Also being very new to underwater video I would like to know if a light system will be a must on shallow 30-40 foot dives?
Where? In the Caribbean or bright tropical waters - probably not. The 1st 15' you won't use the red filter, below that it should work fine to at least 60'.

I've gotten good results to 80' in Curacao. Once to about 110' in the Bahamas on a bright sunny day. You can see the light fall-off in your monitor as you descend. At some point flip the red filter back up as it's not doing any good any more and is just reducing the light available to the sensor. 30-40' shouldn't be any problem in clear, bright water.

Cloudy or murkier water you may want lights. I never have.

I will be diving in a couple weeks in Saint Thomas - Saint John area. I will attempt to edit then post a link to let everyone give his/her opinion of my noobie UWV skills.

I shot video in the BVI's and St. Thomas last April down to over 70'. No lights were needed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom