opinions of online dive sites (stores)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

clear pictures of individual items of merchandise? Often, when I look at an item on-line, it looks like a UFO photo!

IMO a lot of dive industry sites suffer from a serious colour blindness issue along with just a little too much Frontpage template programming.

One of the few I actually like and has a lot of useful info on it as well to me the diver is .here.

I find a lot of dive shops will not tell you about local shore dives in order to maximize their dive charter biz.

I really liked that these guys were very open with suggestions in this regard. They have an excellent section on the local dives and histories.

It also has a great deal of useful info while being reasonably pleasing to the eye and not too cluttered.

I don't shop there often as it is a bit of a drive from me but I enjoy the site and refer to it often.

loosebits once bubbled...
Once thing to avoid at all cost: MUSIC!! There are so many LDS sites out there that play "Under the Sea" and it is horribly annoying.

AAUUGGHH... I hate that. Same with bubble mouse tracers and all that other 90's nonsense.

Calendar of events...a non-active shop is a dead shop to me. Club meetings, boat trips, intro dives, equipment forums, manufacturer meet & greets, guest speakers, slide show pizza night... be active, and involved, and show people.

Education - SSI, NAUI, PADI, LMNO. Talk about the importance of education, show some type of path of education and have a statement about the shop's commitment to ongoing education. What are the requirements for continuing education (time commitment, materials required, pre-requisites, etc.)

Equipment - I got my stuff, so this isn't a biggie for me.

At the place where I'm at right now (diving wise), I'm more interested in finding a shop that's the hub of an active dive community and is geographically desirable. There are events, there's a core of knowledgeable people, there is growth, and there is Nitrox for less than $8.00 a pop.

K

loosebits once bubbled...
Once thing to avoid at all cost: MUSIC!! There are so many LDS sites out there that play "Under the Sea" and it is horribly annoying.

And no stupid java mouse tails!

Professional, you want to appear professional.

Keep simple color schemes. Blues and whites are good for the Main pages with the extra colors coming from the photos. Use plain backgrounds not some small repeating pattern that distracts the eye and make it hard to read text. Above all Keep it Simple, don't change the background on every page.

As for features the Buddy System would be great and using a database for the Trip information would be a positive, then the LDS owner or who every they want can post info on a trip anytime thru an admin page(can include uploading graphics). Class schedule would be good also along with detailed info on what the class is and requires. Local Dive site info(temps, vis, locations, phone #, pictures, schedules of planned trips there) and favorate sites around the world. Most of my LDS tend to travel to the same sites for yearly trips so having info on those sites would be great.

Depending on the area of the LDS one thing that would be great would be a place that local Sites/Charters and post info about when/where they go with pricing and services rendered. This would be benificial several ways by showing more options you have or didn't know about, may generate more business for the charter to be able to lower prices for special trips.

How about the obvious?

-hours of operation
-what they have in stock and prices
-how much are service prices (fills, servicing)
-up to date local dive conditions

That being said, make sure you keep the site up to date.

First, a big thanks to everyone on the board that contributed their comments and suggestions for the store! I really appreciate it.

The online storefront is now live for the local dive shop here in Dallas. They have decent pricing, not the best on the net, but that have really great service and are good people. If you or anyone you know is a diver, have them bookmark the site or store!

http://www.oceanswindow.com dive-shop site (this was done before I was involved, I just did the store-front)

https://store.oceanswindow.com store-front direct URL

I will be adding some more feature as we go on during the season, including more 'help' text, specials and additional products. They want to keep the products fairly limited to those that they are confident in and support at the store, and I've allowed 'in-store' payment and pickup for those a bit skittish about putting CC info on the net.

I didn't get to all the comments and suggestions just yet, but will be using a lot of them as we move forward in the coming weeks and months.

Once again, a big thanks and Happy Holiday shopping :)

Paul

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom