Opinions on Nikkor 85 mm Micro

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AussieByron,
i guessed that you meant the AF-Mode and yes, it still hunt,
focusing fast and nervos from one object to another, lesser but still too much for me.
It may be that this issue depends on the camera and it's autofocus system, but there
where a lot of complaints about that from persons with different cameras so it seems to me
that it is a lens related issue.
Try to borrow one and you will see what i (and a lot others) mean.
I almost never use a focus light (except on night dives) because i find
that it shy away the animals i would like to take a picture of and
i rarely have focus issues with my "old" 105mm.
Some time ago i got a very good deal on a used 105mm VR and so i borrowed it to do
some tests using a focus light as i was aware of this problem.
Even if the price was more than fine, i don't bought it because of it's "nervous" soul.

Chris

P.S. This is my opinion about the 105mm VR and may be based on my experience with the
105mm non VR. Someone else may find the non-VR beeing too slow and apreciate the 105mm VR.

Thanks for the information Chris.

Guess its a another good reason why I ending getting the old AF 105mm Macro. Bought it so cheap as it was on a used Nikon film camera and the seller didint know anything about the lens which was on it.

I have felt a bit seasick when I was shooting my 60mm AFD with kenko 2x TC in surge. It basically turns the 60mm into a 120mm but with 2 times image size.

Regards Mark

AussieByron,
the old 105mm is a excellent lens under and above the waterline and you will be happy with it.

Unfortunalely i am used to dive in heavy surge where the 60mm may be easier to handle, but i have only the 105mm, so i am adapting myself to the conditions here. I can't wait to go back to Sardinia where surge very rare and the sometimes strong currents are usually weak on the bottom. The only pitty is that there are lacking all this small colourfull critters we have here in Costa Rica.

Have fun

Chris

I may feel "strange" when we are diving in places covered with neptune Grass (Poseidonia Oceanica) and the surge is moving it forth and back.

Chris

105 VR - using manual over ride. Standard macro port & focus gear required. Press shuttle release 1/2 way & hold for AF. Press shuttle 1/2 way, hold & rotate focus gear for MF. As soon as you touch focus control the lens changes from AF to MF. Release shuttle & it returns to AF. Nothing to change on lens or camera body. Instant & ease to use.

i use two prime lens sigma 50mm macro and nikon 105mm VR macro i can get a good range between these lens i use 3 focus lights one on my housing mount and the two on my DS 160 strobes so i do not have much problem with hunting
I also use the sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4.5 DC Macro with a subsea +10 wet diopter
I also use the Sigma 28-135mm f/3.8-5.6 Macro

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom