Opinions on the value of taking the course so you can use Nitrox?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow, some seriously thin-skinned people on this board lately!!

Totally agree with you there

Being Open Water certified, it limits you to around 60' in depth.

Not exactly true

An instructor shouldn't even allow you to take a Nitrox course until you have completed your AOW certification.

It can be done in parallel with AOW

My two cents are, gain more experience diving, get Advanced Open Water certified, dive more...gain more experience then go for your Nitrox.

Couldn't agree more

@OP For sure you are a new diver and on a steep learning curve. As you gain more experience and have a few enlightening and scary moments underwater you will soon learn who to dive with and who not to dive with.

But yes, do Nitrox, even at 16M you can extend your NDL considerably compared to using air if your SAC rate is good enough

Ah. I can't help myself.

Well, there is help for issues like yours.

I am sure we can get you signed up for some classes in your area to help you with your addiction to "Thread Jacking", posting COMPLETELY irrelevant information, boring us to near death with your "philosophies on life", etc.

I know this may paint me as an insensitive bastard, but I am far from that image. I just can't stand things like that in a thread that is NOT about a bloated, OFF TOPIC rant like that.

I didn't even read it all word for word as a speed-read glance was enough to bore the hell out of me. This is not the "Wine & Cheese" forum, this is a SCUBA topic discussion forum...realize that and you will get less flame responses! Stop wasting our time reading your posts if they are not going to be about the TOPIC AT HAND!

I know this may paint me as an insensitive bastard, but I am far from that image. I just can't stand things like that in a thread that is NOT about a bloated, OFF TOPIC rant like that.

I find it's rare that a thread _doesn't_ drift off topic after more than a handful of pages....

And just to continue the actual topic... I did my nitrox course before I did AOW, but only because it worked out that way with instructor availability and my not being equipped to dive locally until the last few weeks. Personally I think nitrox should be taught very soon after doing your basic OW course, if only because dive planning with tables will be fresh in your mind...[cough...:blush: ]

When I did my AOW the Nitrox course did not exist, however I would think that PADI, or others should perhaps incorporate the Nitrox course into some sort of gas planning course that should be part of AOW. Perhaps some organizations already do this?

Back
Top Bottom