Opposite-opening Cam Buckles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have mine opening in opposite directions, but for an entirely different purpose.

I have an XS scuba weight pocket on each cam band, and they work placed away from the direction of the closing/velcro. Since I want the pockets opposite each other for balance purposes, I have to have the bands going in opposite directions.

I also use weight pockets on my tank cam bands. For the pocket on the side closest to the closing/Velcro I have to have the band and pocket positioned perfectly for it to work. The other side has lots more play. Duh, why didn't I ever think of reversing one of the bands!

And what possible event would that be?

20000_squid_holding_sailor.jpg

Attachments

• 20000_squid_holding_sailor.jpg
    20000_squid_holding_sailor.jpg
    281.5 KB · Views: 116
Hmmm, according to a certain CO dive shop owner, CO divers are exceptionally fit and would be over weighted with even an AL backplate.... are you sure you need those weight pockets? :)

He is normally correct, but for those dry suit moments, even CO divers need a pound or two extra.

I also use weight pockets on my tank cam bands. For the pocket on the side closest to the closing/Velcro I have to have the band and pocket positioned perfectly for it to work. The other side has lots more play. Duh, why didn't I ever think of reversing one of the bands!

On that side (strap end), I just got the weight pocket with a velcro face..... identical to the other one except for the velcro face. XS Scuba makes some nice pockets....

Just for reference: When I'm TA-ing for the scientific diver class's gear solving pool session [where we introduce gear problems to the students], it's waaaay easier to pop both cam buckles when they're opposing, When they're same-sided, I just end up rotating the entire diver. So if you're worried about another diver having it out for you, same-side your cam buckles. :wink:

There's really no underwater event that can pop even one cam buckle open; unless you have yours real loose, and take out the velcro. Even then I don't see many situations where you would unexpectedly pop a cam buckle open.

The original idea I remember, came from having equal amounts of weight on either side when sporting SS camstraps. But even then that's about 1lbs or less of negative ballast, so it really doesn't make a difference IMO.

On that side (strap end), I just got the weight pocket with a velcro face..... identical to the other one except for the velcro face. XS Scuba makes some nice pockets....

I am aware of those pockets. Unfortunately, my STA cam bands have a separate piece of rubber with velcro on them through which the cam band is threaded, so that won't work. (Maybe if I get new cam bands...)

Back
Top Bottom