Optimal Drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Used DUI's don't seem to run any more than other used suits. My CLX450 was around $800 with pockets and p-valve as well.

When I got certified in 2005, I looked into a DUI suit -- for my size, it would have to be custom, and with pockets, it would have run me $2400 minimum -- six years ago. Three and a half years ago or so, I bought my Fusion, with undergarment, hood and boots, for $1400. Both kinds of suits have gone up.

The Fusion is not hard to get into with light undergarments. It is difficult to get into with heavy ones. I did not like the socks and boots, and had TurboSoles put on mine. TurboSoles have some positives -- attached to the suit, come in sizes, fit in my fins -- and some negatives, like no ankle support and very little padding between your soles and the rocks. Plus my left foot leaked within months -- but was very easy to fix.

Pockets are the bane of a Fusion owner's life, but mobility and easy buoyancy control are the pluses. I have to shake my head at the reports from people who found them difficult to dive; it's the easiest suit by far of all the ones (owned or rented) that I have had in the water.

And yes, they are stupid looking, but not as bad as the Bare SB, which looks like somebody sent you out in your PJs.

Yeah the price layout seems to be different may be we were lucky - dui had a sale and we got signature clx with pockets clover pads fins dc gloves for a bit over 3k it was a year and a half ago

The pockets that Whites sells aren't great (though certainly manageable), but you can add whatever pockets you want to the Fusion (I know a few people with the Halcyon Explorer pockets added). Similarly, you can add turbo soles if you'd like as well (and Whites now has an integrated boot option of their own). I do agree, it is more work to get into this suit than any other I've tried. As for keeping trim, though, I totally disagree. The suit dives beautifully. I really can't imagine why you had any difficulty with it. And unlike the DUIs I've dived, it's actually dry...you know, the whole reason for getting a dry suit in the first place. :) The fact it's a third the price of a similarly equipped DUI is just icing. Honestly, my only knock on the Fusion is that it looks (really) stupid.

Like I stated, i did get 40 dives in the suit and IMHO, I preferred having that small "bubble" of a regular drysuit. Did I have trouble diving the suit? No. Was I able to keep in trim? Yes. Was I able to have control in the water? Yes. I just felt that it was more like diving steel 119's in a wetsuit and for me, i just prefer diving the 119's in a regular style drysuit w/"Bubble".

I have actually been seeing a lot of divers in this are selling their Fushion suits and going to a regular style (mainly Flex Extremes) drysuit! Why, PITA to get in, Pockets, boot design and the assistance of the "Bubble".

Agreed, the look of the suit is aweful, a little StarTrekie!

For drysuit thermals, has anyone tried Lavacore. I think its about 1.5mm thick, or thinner, not neoprene, neutrally buoyant, and wicks sweat. Apparently you can dive it like a wetsuit, or rashguard and it will keep you as warm as a 3 mil, wear a vest under your wetsuit, or use it as drysuit thermals. I overheard the guys at C&J's at beaver lake talking about it. Some of the cave divers in the area tried it for drysuit thermal, hit (I think) 50 degree water, and they said it kept them warm. this stuff almost sounds to good to be true. Just wonder if anyone else has tried it.

What you heard is probably this: These divers wear lavacore under their regular drysuit undergarment for extra warmth, not just the lavacore under their drysuit. No way lavacore alone can keep most of the population warm in 50F water

For drysuit thermals, has anyone tried Lavacore. I think its about 1.5mm thick, or thinner, not neoprene, neutrally buoyant, and wicks sweat. Apparently you can dive it like a wetsuit, or rashguard and it will keep you as warm as a 3 mil, wear a vest under your wetsuit, or use it as drysuit thermals. I overheard the guys at C&J's at beaver lake talking about it. Some of the cave divers in the area tried it for drysuit thermal, hit (I think) 50 degree water, and they said it kept them warm. this stuff almost sounds to good to be true. Just wonder if anyone else has tried it.

---------- Post added June 23rd, 2013 at 02:31 AM ----------

There is some misunderstaning about CF200 material. First, the material is actaully negatively buoyant. I have a piece of loose CF200 material at home, it sink under fresh water (bath tube) once it is fully wet. Second, the so call inherent thermal protection, while it is true, it is very minimal. You will still need the same undergarment for 50F water. Thinking you can go from TLS+400g thinsulate to CF200+200g thinsulate is the wrong kind of thinking.

After owning CF200 and TLS350 for a while, I would say CF200 is one tough suit. If you think you will make a lot of contact with environment, this it is much better material. Because of its stretchy nature, for the same size, CF suit is cut a little tighter, so it is a more streamline suit. But because of this and the stiffness of the material, it is a less mobile suit. You will feel this in valve drill. CF is very heavy when wet, and it takes days to dry, so it is a terrible travel suit.

TLS is almost the exact opposite of CF, very flexible and comfortable to wear. It is light weight, take no time to dry, makes a great travel suit. The downside is lack of toughness. My suit has stich coming off in the under arm area. The outter layer material along the edge thigh pockets got wore out by the pockets themselves. DUI fixed them under warranty even the suit is out, so I was impressed with their customer service. But still, TLS needs some care.

A suit I really want to try is While Fusion with sport skin. The big advantages attracts me is that they don't need to be custom made to fit perfectly, and the fact that I can use the same suit with thick undergarment or no undergarment. It is still light weight, flexible, easy to dry. I heard it is quite tough too. If I ever need a backup suit, this will be the one.

TLS is almost the exact opposite of CF, very flexible and comfortable to wear. It is light weight, take no time to dry, makes a great travel suit. The downside is lack of toughness. My suit has stich coming off in the under arm area. The outter layer material along the edge thigh pockets got wore out by the pockets themselves. DUI fixed them under warranty even the suit is out, so I was impressed with their customer service. But still, TLS needs some care.
Tls350 is awful, there's no valid reason to dive one these days other than a used one is cheap. With the flx extreme available, there's no reason to dive a suit that leaks every other dive. I don't think I got 5 consecutive dry dives from my tls (bought used but dry at that time). My flx is going on 3 years and zero leaks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom