Options in the South Pacific - Fiji, PNG, Tahiti Others

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Have a look at the website of Walindi Plantation Resort in Kimbe Bay PNG.
It's fabulous and strong on macro/muck and some good day trips too

Thanks all for the tips, after looking some more I think we pretty much settled on Fiji, it does seem like the most logistically straightforward with good options for diving. Indo would be our first choice but we're heading there in 8 months and will make a stop in Lembah to scratch the macro itch.

For stays in Fiji we're between Paradise Tavenui, which it seems like many people have enjoyed, and Nakia which seems less dive focused but also less expensive. Would love to hear some first hand experience as we're deciding between the two.
I stayed at both Nakia and Paradise in August 2022. Both have pluses and minuses.

Nakia is centrally located and the boat rides to the Rainbow Reef are much quicker. The dive op is fantastic, but you will be carrying your dive gear back and forth from the resort to the dive shop. You will need to go down/up a steep set of stairs and cross a busy road. The resort is quiet and chill, and while lovely, does not have the cultural aspect that Paradise has. There is no bar and the general vibe is very quiet - we remarked that it would be a good place for people in recovery to visit, and not have to worry about being around alcohol and kava. Nakia is also closer to other Taveuni attractions such as the waterfalls and hikes.

Paradise is much more set up for groups and offers a more inclusive Fiji experience, such as mekes and kava, and has a vibrant atmosphere. The grounds and pool are beautiful, and the oceanfront massages are lovely. However, because of Paradise's location at the tip of the island, you are far away from both the Rainbow Reef and the waterfalls and hiking. The dive op will also take you to Vuna Reef, which isn't that great and not comparable to the Rainbow Reef.

I have heard that Taveuni Dive Resort is a great compromise between the two. I haven't stayed there, but have heard good reports.

The dive op will also take you to Vuna Reef, which isn't that great and not comparable to the Rainbow Reef.
I found Vuna Reef and some of the reefs even more south like Forsen Slope to be quite good - as good or better than Rainbow Reef.

I found Vuna Reef and some of the reefs even more south like Forsen Slope to be quite good - as good or better than Rainbow Reef.
Interesting! I must have gone to some subpar sites at Vuna or who knows??? Perhaps on my next trip to Fiji I'll look into more time at Vuna and Forsen Slope.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom