OrcaTorch D630 and Perdix interference?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thunder Struck

Contributor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Sippin' cholla juice under the shade of a mesquite
Was looking at the OrcaTorch D630 canister light, but one of the reviews on Amazon from June 2023 mentioned that it creates RF that interferes with the transmitters used by the Perdix. The same review indicated OrcaTorch was working on a shielded cable to alleviate the problem.

Does anybody know if this is still an issue?

Much as I'd love to go with a Light Monkey 10-20, it's hard to justify for as much use as I'd realistically be giving it.

I haven't encountered this. I wear my Perdix on my right wrist and my light is usually on my left hand though.

Some people had same issues with light cable being very close to dc

Was looking at the OrcaTorch D630 canister light, but one of the reviews on Amazon from June 2023 mentioned that it creates RF that interferes with the transmitters used by the Perdix. The same review indicated OrcaTorch was working on a shielded cable to alleviate the problem.

Does anybody know if this is still an issue?

Much as I'd love to go with a Light Monkey 10-20, it's hard to justify for as much use as I'd realistically be giving it.
I should start by saying I sell these (so maybe take what I say with a grain of salt? Just being up front). Have sold quite a few and this question pops up from time to time.

I have tested this in water and on land. It's a lot easier to get interference on land. In water I had to put a good bit of effort during the dive by forcing the cable to lay right next to the Perdix AI. I could get it to drop out, but really had to force it. And when it did drop out, the display still would blink the last psi, but would blink "no comms" (or something like that) in between. So it wasn't like it was worthless when the signal dropped, it just let you know it lost signal but "here's the last psi registered".

I had to wear the perdix and goodman handle on the right hand (which I never do). In my experience it can happen, but in reality it's either so rare or even non existent with how I dive (dc on right, light on left).

If you're interested (I think it's a great light, there are a few people that really like it that have reviewed it here on SB, @RyanT did one). I can ship anywhere in the continental US for $450. Save about $120 off retail. D630 V2, which comes with a decent case.

Back
Top Bottom