Canister lights and interference with AI transmitters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LFMarm

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am looking into replacing my primary light with a canister light and while reading about OrcaTorch D630, I found a review (Amazon.com) that talked about losing AI transmitter connection for Shearwater due to lack of cable insulation. It's always risky to extrapolate from 1 data point so wanted to check if the community has experienced similar problems with this specific canister light or any other canister light. My setup relies on AI transmitters so this would be a no-go for me.

SW does mention HID lights as a possible source of interface

Would be interesting to know how many people actually experienced that

1691670766595.png

SW does mention HID lights as a possible source of interface

Would be interesting to know how many people actually experienced that

View attachment 796595
Yes, interesting to hear if this is a widespread problem. I would be surprised because I have seen many cave divers with transmitters and canister lights.

I can’t speak for the OrcaTorch lights (and generally have had poor experience with their smaller lights), but this interference is an issue with heat controllers using Pulse Wave Modulation (which is all of the power adjustment controllers a la Fathom Pitkin, LM Pitkin, UWLD heater button).

Not an answer to your question, but I’ve had no issues with either Swift or the regular transmitter type when I’ve used them with LM, UWLD, and Halcyon canister lights.

I do not know what Orca Torch is using internally, so this comment does not relate directly to their product. As Grantctobin said, transmitters can have their signal interrupted with Pulse Width Modulation (PWM). My heat controller as well as most others use PWM. Many light manufacturers also use PWM in their primary lights to extend run times, so it is possible that certain lights will interfere with transmitters. Our primary and video lights do not use PWM. PWM will extend burn time, however it will also make high frame rate video look terrible. If anyone has ever watched a video of vehicles with LED lights shot in a high frame rate and you see the lights flickering this is why. In the auto industry PWM is used mainly to control heat, not so much for power draw. Same result though.

I hope this helps

I can’t speak for the OrcaTorch lights (and generally have had poor experience with their smaller lights), but this interference is an issue with heat controllers using Pulse Wave Modulation (which is all of the power adjustment controllers a la Fathom Pitkin, LM Pitkin, UWLD heater button).

Not an answer to your question, but I’ve had no issues with either Swift or the regular transmitter type when I’ve used them with LM, UWLD, and Halcyon canister lights.

Big brain 🤓

I suspect my occasional transmitter connectivity issues may be coming from my D630.

I haven't had issues with my light monkey can light and my perdix.

I tested quite extensively now with 3 transmitters and performance is identical with or without light

@AfterDark bought a cheap chinese canister light years ago. We were going to do a night dive and when he turned on the light the car radio turned to static. We were at the other end of the car at the time

Reactions: OTF

Back
Top Bottom