DIR views on non-canister primary lights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

landlockeddivingdoc

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
So I'm looking to buy a primary for night rec diving, but would like one that can "grow with me." I don't immediately plan to do any tec diving, but might do a GUE fundamentals course if the opportunity presents, and don't know if that'll change the trajectory of my diving.

I've looked through the many Scubaboard threads about specific light recommendations, and don't want to necessarily repeat that question (though, since I'm sure some will ask, I've narrowed it down to the LX20, CX2, and D630). Rather, I'm curious if someone can respond to the following with their experience and rationale:

1) How does the contemporary DIR community view non-canister primaries in general?
2) Do they still insist on a hard Goodman handle rather than a soft Goodman? If so, why?

I have read Jablonski's book, as well as MacKay's Dress for Success. The latter is a bit dated, referencing only HID lights over halogen, but nothing about LED illumination, and lists having a canister battery as something a light "should have." As technology has changed so much over the last decade or so, some smaller handheld lights (not necessarily those listed above) seem to give canister lights a run for their money, and I seem to gravitate to that option (I really don't like being wrapped up in any more wires or hoses than necessary), but I'd prefer to not be made fun of for not having something meeting minimum standards...there's plenty more I should be made fun of for!

I can't speak for GUE, but ISE directly addressed this 5 years ago and found that non-wired lights can be an acceptable alternative (where the run time is sufficient).

They answer your question about soft Goodman handles as well. The short version is your need to be able to quickly and easily switch the light to the other hand or clip it off so you keep control of the beam when doing stuff with your left hand. You can't really do that if the light is attached to a glove or some kind of strap arrangement.

Here's another ISE video with their prototype wireless primary light, again from 5 years ago. It's 3 of the typical 1000 lumen nominal (around 600 actual) 18650 battery twist lights mounted in parallel in a hard Goodman handle.

GUE standards have two sentences on the subject:
  • The primary light should consist of a rechargeable battery pack and be fitted with a Goodman-style light handle.
  • When burn time requirements create the need for an external battery pack, it should reside in a canister mounted on the diver’s right hip.
In my fairly recent fundies, no emphasis at all was put on having a separate battery canister. However, a hard Goodman is strongly recommended to easily switch the light to a temporary hold in the right hand when using the left hand for other stuff.

1) How does the contemporary DIR community view non-canister primaries in general?
They are accepted, as far as I know. As long as it has a focused beam that can be used for light communication, and it has a proper runtime for the kind of diving you so, it should be good. You don't even need a canister to get a Fundies tech rating. They only specify that if the runtime requires an external battery it should be mounted on the right hip, in the standards.
2) Do they still insist on a hard Goodman handle rather than a soft Goodman? If so, why?
Yes. Like lowwall mentioned, hard handles allow you to quickly switch hands, which you do almost anytime you use your left hand for anything that would create weird light signals, like operating the inflator.

I really don't like being wrapped up in any more wires or hoses than necessary
I have a primary light that can run both as a cordless handheld and as a wired canister. The cordless is more than enough for the dives I do, but I always use the canister. Why? Because it's impossible to drop the light. I frequently dive walls where the bottom is around 100m, so if a cordless light slips out of my hand, it's gone. It also conveniently holds my long hose in place. And dealing with the cord is easy once you get used to it.

Edit:
Haha, so tired I'm mixing up left and right hands...

I have a primary light that can run both as a cordless handheld and as a wired canister. The cordless is more than enough for the dives I do, but I always use the canister. Why? Because it's impossible to drop the light. I frequently dive walls where the bottom is around 100m, so if a cordless light slips out of my hand, it's gone. It also conveniently holds my long hose in place. And dealing with the cord is easy once you get used to it.

Edit:
Haha, so tired I'm mixing up left and right hands...
Would having a Boltsnap on the torch attached to a thick rubberband on the wrist defeat the purpose of a hard Goodman handle? If one could deftly unhook the Boltsnap and transfer it to the other hand (the right hand is reaching for the left in any case during the transfer)…

Would having a Boltsnap on the torch attached to a thick rubberband on the wrist defeat the purpose of a hard Goodman handle? If one could deftly unhook the Boltsnap and transfer it to the other hand (the right hand is reaching for the left in any case during the transfer)…
I'm not an authority by any stretch of the imagination, but my gut reaction is that it's not very practical. I switch hands with the light all the time, and I don't want my buddies to even notice. So I grab the light head from the top to keep the light beam stable, without any erratic light movements. Having to unclip it, would be an extra step that you can fumble, and you would have to re-grip it, as you don't want to hold the light by the bolt snap. Seems too complicated and I don't think it would work very well, especially when using thick dry gloves.

Not really, one of the key points of the hard goodman on a scooter especially is to slip the handle onto your right thumb and the light still points forward while you use your left hand (and avoid disco ball light effects)

Not really, one of the key points of the hard goodman on a scooter especially is to slip the handle onto your right thumb and the light still points forward while you use your left hand (and avoid disco ball light effects)
Do you use the thumb loop for that? I don't have a full thumb loop on mine, only a semi-circle, so I'm wondering how to hold it with my scooter hand. Do you know of any image or video showing this?

Do you use the thumb loop for that? I don't have a full thumb loop on mine, only a semi-circle, so I'm wondering how to hold it with my scooter hand. Do you know of any image or video showing this?
I do. When I transfer the light to my right hand I use the thumb loop. Very convenient.

Depends upon the scooter. A Blacktip, for example, has a thumb operated scooter switch. In that case you simply use the Goodman handle as normal on the right hand and hold both the torch and the scooter handle.

Back
Top Bottom