Primary Light Recommendation - Rec Night Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Everyone in my family uses this light from DGX. It has high, low, and strobe setting. The low setting is almost always enough for most night diving without being blinding
View attachment 798044
I use the same. The advantage of the button is that it lets you have a low power mode. The high setting on this is too bright at night for most uses in clear water. It is handy for looking in holes and under ledges during the day.

Note that there are many very similar versions of this light. When night diving, I also carry a second one I picked up from Amazon that's no longer available. There are versions on ebay you can get cheaper if you are willing to go without a warranty and you have your own charger. Mako offers a version and also sells accessories like a wrist mount, belt holster and speargun mounting bracket 1000 Lumen Dive Light

I'm a huge fan of the Bigblue narrow beam LED lights. I have two versions of this light. As LED technology improves, they have continuously increased the lumen output. I have an AL1000NP and an AL1200NP. Just two generations of the same light. Current model is an AL1300NP. They are bulletproof. I am not careful with them at all. They get knocked around constantly. I've never had a failure on either light. I really like the rechargeable batteries and 4-power settings plus an SOS mode. The push-button switch, which I prefer, is also top of the line. As long as Blueblue continues to put out high quality lights, I have no intention of owning another brand of light.

Me too. I still use a BT and a manual transmission.
Are we weird? I hate buttons. I wish my Shearwater had an interface other than two piezo pushbuttons, but it's a necessary evil, I suppose. In a former career, I was an electrical engineer, and in my mind everything electronic fails eventually. Buttons stick. Buttons are wonky. Okay, I know these issues can be overcome with high-grade buttons. Spacecraft have buttons. Maybe I was traumatized by seeing so much failing electronics in the day, and now just want to dive to the peaceful depths where I can get away from electronics.

How important is a button as a potential failure point on a night dive with two lights and the direction to the surface not in question?

How important is a button as a potential failure point on a night dive with two lights and the direction to the surface not in question?
And a buddy with 2 more lights.

I assume solo divers would take three.

Button v. twist head is just personal preference. I like the button lights better because I can operate them one-handed.

I have long argued that the problem with the phrase "failure point" is that it too often interferes with rational thought. Pretty much everything in scuba is a potential failure point. When evaluating any piece of equipment in this regard, we need to ask some questions.
  • How important is the item?
  • What is the likelihood of failure?
  • What are the potential consequences of failure?
  • If the consequences are significant, is there a reasonable backup?
Consideration of those questions allows us to make good decisions, but too often the phrase "failure point" prevents us from asking those questions.

--and it often takes me some fumbling before I reach the mode I'm looking for. If I were to get a pushbutton dive light, I would prefer it have no extra functions; just simple push-on and push-off.
Haha, that sounds like me. I used to use a couple of DivePro S10s and it was a pain to cycle through the modes. I now have a couple of Scouts so easy twist on and off. I do miss having the strobe function but maybe I will start to carry an S10 in my pocket.

If you are looking for a primary and a back up light, check out these two. The larger one is super bright with 1700 lumens and the smaller light is very compact and quite bright if you select the rechargeable battery option. Order both and FREE SHIPPING

Thanks
dano

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom