Newbie light buyer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think the DGX700 is mail-order only, from Dive Gear Express. But, I'm pretty sure they will ship to the UK...
They actually have it available for shipping internationally, but the shipping costs + vat double up the price straight away!

BTW this is a backup torch with twist on and adjusted brightness that I've found so far, but I haven't read any reviews yet :

XP-L led (just reading that it's the more compact/efficient evolution of the XM-L2 ?) and a smaller 18650 battery, however it's the most compact from any alternative I've seen. It could be an option

They actually have it available for shipping internationally, but the shipping costs + vat double up the price straight away!

BTW this is a backup torch with twist on and adjusted brightness that I've found so far, but I haven't read any reviews yet :

XP-L led (just reading that it's the more compact/efficient evolution of the XM-L2 ?) and a smaller 18650 battery, however it's the most compact from any alternative I've seen. It could be an option

That looks pretty darn nice. But, I *think* the XPL is only about half as bright as the XM-L2. I could be wrong, though.

If they would make that light was a Luminus SST-40 and to hold a 21700 battery, then it would be pretty much perfect.

The specs say it is a Luminus LED, but not what model, that I can see. Do you know if that is published anywhere?

Regardless, we have seen that that light is not any brighter than the DGX700, and it's a push button, so I still count them as "equal but different". :) Neither one is my "ideal" backup light.

The specs say it is a Luminus LED, but not what model, that I can see. Do you know if that is published anywhere?

Regardless, we have seen that that light is not any brighter than the DGX700, and it's a push button, so I still count them as "equal but different". :) Neither one is my "ideal" backup light.
It’s on sale :wink:

@ls1mtz - it is highly unlikely that you'll have only 1-2 dive lights. As you travel on this dive journey, you'll end up with multiple lights where each light will be good at some specific job and not so good at something else. Therefore, consider your budget, what you need now, and customer support/service.

As you are in FL, it makes perfect sense to support your local gun fighter - DiveRite - with BX2 and CX2 lights. DiveRite's service is awesome -- if there is an issue, you'll get replacement/service within days. DiveRite also offers a handle system that you can use with LX20+, CX2, and BX2. Their soft goodman glove is absolutely fantastic. I found CX2 to be too big mounted on a goodman handle, but it is still a solid light. If redundancy and light operations are important to you, get 2 BX2 lights. Install QRM mounts on both an get a goodman handle (soft is my preference for BX2). Then get a proper charger - the one supplied with these lights is crap - and good batteries. Done.

LX20+ is a very solid light. You do not need to run it on high power setting, as the medium setting provides more than enough light. However, you probably do not need this light at the current stage of your diving career.

@Sharknado4 - if you're looking for a very solid, reliable backup, consider Halcyon Scout or Heser-Backup.

These lights are solid, well-made, and simple. There is no circuit to delivery continuous constant output, and the lights take C batteries. It is virtually impossible to turn them on/off by accident and there is nothing inside that can go bad. My DiveRite BX2 went bad - started to turn on randomly - when I was in a cave. DiveRite replaced it prompty and while I will still bring BX2 with me into overhead, I still have Heser with me. It also gives you continuous light output for hours and hours. No, it won't be bright, but it will work.

Some people will complain that these lights are hefty - that's totally okay with me. The benefits outweigh the negatives and it is highly likely that I'll replace my second BX2 with another Heser. (But that's for a cave setup and another story).

@Sharknado4 - if you're looking for a very solid, reliable backup, consider Halcyon Scout or Heser-Backup.

These lights are solid, well-made, and simple. There is no circuit to delivery continuous constant output, and the lights take C batteries. It is virtually impossible to turn them on/off by accident and there is nothing inside that can go bad. My DiveRite BX2 went bad - started to turn on randomly - when I was in a cave. DiveRite replaced it prompty and while I will still bring BX2 with me into overhead, I still have Heser with me. It also gives you continuous light output for hours and hours. No, it won't be bright, but it will work.

Some people will complain that these lights are hefty - that's totally okay with me. The benefits outweigh the negatives and it is highly likely that I'll replace my second BX2 with another Heser. (But that's for a cave setup and another story).

C-cell battery lights as backups used to be the DIR standard. Maybe they still are. I don't know.

I wouldn't use one.

Leave it sit for a while and you have the risk of an alkaline battery leaking.

Use it once and then, are you going to replace the battery? Or start every dive after that with a battery that does not have a full charge?

It's going to really suck on the day you really need it and that's when you find out that you used it 10 minutes on that one day, and 20 minutes on another day, and you forgot about that one time you used it for a while, and etc., and when you got in for your dive you were sure it was still "fine" and didn't need to be changed yet, and that day that you need it it only has 1/3 of its original charge left and dies on you while you still need it.

A backup with a Li-ion battery, like an 18650 or 21700, won't leak if you leave it sitting for a while.

Buy good quality batteries and they won't have significant self-discharge when sitting, either.

Regardless, they are cheap and easy to recharge, so you can start every dive knowing your backup light has a fully charged battery.

Using a C cell battery should not be a crutch to allow not doing proper gear maintenance (e.g. charging your batteries and also testing them to ensure they are still good).

C-cell battery lights as backups used to be the DIR standard. Maybe they still are. I don't know.

I wouldn't use one.

Leave it sit for a while and you have the risk of an alkaline battery leaking.

Use it once and then, are you going to replace the battery? Or start every dive after that with a battery that does not have a full charge?

It's going to really suck on the day you really need it and that's when you find out that you used it 10 minutes on that one day, and 20 minutes on another day, and you forgot about that one time you used it for a while, and etc., and when you got in for your dive you were sure it was still "fine" and didn't need to be changed yet, and that day that you need it it only has 1/3 of its original charge left and dies on you while you still need it.

A backup with a Li-ion battery, like an 18650 or 21700, won't leak if you leave it sitting for a while.

Buy good quality batteries and they won't have significant self-discharge when sitting, either.

Regardless, they are cheap and easy to recharge, so you can start every dive knowing your backup light has a fully charged battery.

Using a C cell battery should not be a crutch to allow not doing proper gear maintenance (e.g. charging your batteries and also testing them to ensure they are still good).
It is not about using C-batteries as a crutch. The two lights I mentioned are simple, good, and extremely reliable. They just happen to use C-batteries. While I still have DR in my collection, I can't look past the fact that Halcyon and Heser lights are better made.

All my lights go through the same post-dive routine: I take them apart, take the batteries out, let the lights dry out.

All my batteries go through the same pre-dive routine: I check the voltage, recharge what needs to be recharged, and replace what needs to be replaced.

It is not about using C-batteries as a crutch. The two lights I mentioned are simple, good, and extremely reliable. They just happen to use C-batteries. While I still have DR in my collection, I can't look past the fact that Halcyon and Heser lights are better made.

All my lights go through the same post-dive routine: I take them apart, take the batteries out, let the lights dry out.

All my batteries go through the same pre-dive routine: I check the voltage, recharge what needs to be recharged, and replace what needs to be replaced.

So, what makes them preferable to using a twist-on light (no constant output circuit) with a good quality 21700 rechargeable? I.e. a light that you can charge to Full before the dive, versus a light that you either put a new battery in after every single time you use it, or you choose to start dives with a battery that you know isn't full. A light that won't have its battery leak inside the light if you let it sit for a month or two, versus one that could.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom