Looking for recommendations for primary light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rickk

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am looking for Recommendation for a new primary light.

I wand a very bright light with ability to focus beam from narrow to broad. So far most of the high power lights I have looked at are either narrow or broad beam, nothing adjustable.

I have lots of 18650 batteries, as my other lights all use thus size, so would like to be able to use these.

Not concerned if canister or stand alone style.

I am TDI ER diver. I want to do wreck and cavern dive as well as rec night dives with it.

I have a bigblue 1200 lumin as my primary, this would become my secondary light or daytime rec dive light. My current secondary, a no name brand light, would be used as back up/ spare light.

Not going to say money is no object, but I am prepared to pay for a good light

Light Monkey has always been good to me. If I was to get a new can light today it would be a 20-32 VF LED... but a 15-32 would be my next choice as it fits my wife's size and goal needs and she would use it if I was not.

Light Monkey has always been good to me. If I was to get a new can light today it would be a 20-32 VF LED... but a 15-32 would be my next choice as it fits my wife's size and goal needs and she would use it if I was not.
A little pricy for me, but no question a good light.

I was thinking more in the USD500 range, in the Philippines

42 P1010201 (1) (2).JPG

In this case, the reasons you list for needing VF sound like "nice to have" at best. Night diving with a super bright wide beam light is irritating to everyone around you, just don’t do it.

I am prepared to pay for a good light
I was thinking more in the USD500 range
Unfortunately, when it comes to variable focus, your goals conflict. You may have to reconsider why you need variable focus or up your price target. I don’t believe there exists a variable focus at any price that uses 18650 cells.

@OrcaTorch offers a VF in their D720 for your price range, but I assume it has quality or manufacturing problems because they’ve not offered to let anyone test.

Our group uses either the light monkey VF or halcyon focus (my favorite is the F2). Here’s a thread comparing the two.

LX20+. It doesn't have an adjustable beam, but it's really not necessary. The light spill around the central beam provides plenty of peripheral light.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom