Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Don’t use chemical hand warmers in drysuits. The increased partial pressure accelerates the reaction.
Is there a chance it can actually light on fire?
I have heard it advice before, but not much other than don't do it.....

Main thing you need for heating is control. Too hot is uncomfortable especially if localised.

If you’re doing a couple of hours of decompression then you need reliability and duration. You get cold doing nothing!

Is there a chance it can actually light on fire?
I have heard it advice before, but not much other than don't do it.....
Fire probably not,
burn you badly yes

What’s the beef with the LM dual output can? Burn time?
Its giant and not very versatile. Even if you dont want the heat on some dives you have to bring this giant canister along.
A used canister with 2 batteries (for multiple dives or a weekend etc) is way better.

Don’t use chemical hand warmers in drysuits. The increased partial pressure accelerates the reaction.
^This. There have been reports of burns.

Best regards,
DDM

I think the UWLD LD-40 + UWLD Heat Controller + UWLD Tall (160 W-Hr) battery is an awesome solution and the one I use.

For caves, I usually just put the light on the can.

For cold wreck dives, I just put the heat controller on the can and use a cordless light. As someone else already noted, you don't generally need a light for much burn time during a wreck dive.

Occasionally, I will put the light and the heat on the can. That would generally only be when, either, I don't need the light for that long (e.g. wreck) and I only need the heat for during deco (and, really the heat is a "want", not a "need"). Or, when I want the light for a longer dive (e.g. cave), but I only need the heat on a low setting during deco (e.g. 20' and up, getting out of Ginnie Springs).

I LOVE the flexibility that this UWLD setup gives me. And the quality cannot be beaten.

Also, the Hotshotz gel warmer packs are not a chemical reaction. They are reusable and safe to use in a wetsuit or drysuit.

I got some at DEMA last year. I haven't used them in the water, but I've used the hand-sized ones in the pockets of my boat coat a few times during cold surface intervals.

You just boil them for 10 minutes or something like that to restore them for reuse.

I am with @stuartv. Get an UWLD tall can (160whrs) and LD-40. When diving in cold water, run only heat and get a second light, like LX20+ for your lighting needs when you run heat. Also, consider thermal effects on decompression.

During the dive you want to stay on a cooler - but not colder - side, so that you slow on-gassing. When you turn the dive, you want to speed up off-gassing but still stay safe, so you'd slightly turn up the heat. If you use that approach, then an UWLD tall can will last you two dives w/o issues. However, if you pair heat and light, then you're dramatically shortening battery life.

Proper underwear will keep you warm without chemicals or electricity. If you dive in cold waters, make sure that you have a decent layering system and a good drive suit. I'd invest in that before jumping into heating solutions.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom