How to fix faulty connection with battery on canister light?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

steinbil

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
On the last few dives, I've had problems with bad connection between the battery and the cord of my canister light. Usually I can fix it by unscrewing the battery a quarter turn, and then re-tightening it. However, it's getting tiring having to do that after splashing from the boat every dive, as it seems to get disturbed enough by my backroll that even though it's working on the boat, it often fails on the surface after splashing. Once I fix it, it keeps working throughout the dive. Given the symptoms, the way it's fixed and the fact that I can see wear marks on the contact point of battery and the cord for the light (see pictures), I'm assuming the problems are caused by faulty connection.

Is there anything I can do to improve the contact with the battery? There seems to be some sort of plating that is wearing down, but I don't think there's any corrosion - just wear on the contact surfaces - so is there any reason to polish/sand the surfaces? Can I use petroleum jelly, or some other grease to improve contact? Any other ideas?

IMG_9699.jpg
IMG_9700.jpg
IMG_9701.jpg

I'd try DeoxIT Contact Cleaner.

Back
Top Bottom