Ordered my first speargun

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I too just got a new speargun- went for an Andre Gold 110. The plan for now is for myself and dive buddy to search the reef while another person mans the boat. As I was looking around online, I saw the float lines available. I can't figure out how this would help me land a larger fish. I'd like to be able to secure one end of a line to the boat and the other to the spear. That way, if I shoot something, the guy on the boat can pull it up after I use a rapid release to seperate from the gun. Is this a reasonable plan? I can see the importance of having a good set of sheers around when doing this. What are the float lines for? I mean, I see that they float... k. Any advice before I go loose my gun?

Okay, good question. The floatline will help you and when hunting large fish you want either a FLOATLINE or a REEL. It doesn't matter which, but think of it like this: your first shot if you don't hit the fish on the spine or the brain, is not going to kill the fish. So, you need a tether(rope) in order to let the fish run/get tired/hole up/tie-up/get tangled in order to dispatch it. Dispatching would be 1 of 2 ways: 1) shoot it with a kill shot (2nd gun), or 2) knife it in the brain.

If you shoot a big fish without one of the two above mentioned items, you will have much more tear-offs and loss of fish. You may also bend more shafts trying to "horse" in the wild fish. Or worse, you may hold on to your gun and get dragged around the ocean depending on if you are The floatline allows you (if you are freediving) to head to the surface without having to drag your ~ 20ft setup and fish up to the surface or risk losing your gun. On Scuba it has similar safety properties as well.

Hope this helps.

Erik Sun
Sumora Dive Tools
sumora, official distributors of Rabitech
erik@sumora.com
1 949 310 3393

Eric,
That was helpful. The shaft on my gun is very long and thin. Stop... I had to write that sentence three times to keep it clean. Anyway, bent shafts isn't something I had considered. I suppose that makes having someone on a boat pull it up won't work well. I'll go for the second shot or "pith" method then. Thanks! Now I just have to find a fish to shoot...

Mike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom