Oriskany Info Dive Trip Late June

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've gotten some PM's from people so I will list what I found out.

We are diving with MBT Diving of P'cola. http://www.mbtdivers.com/

They have a discount set up with a motel close by; Suburban Lodge
http://www.choicehotels.com/ires/en-us/html/HotelInfo?hotel=FL964
You have to call the hotel and say you are with MBT to ask for the discount. Very cheap rates

There is some great clear video on this site of the Navy diving the ship and inspecting. http://www.pensacolanewsjournal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060517/VIDEO/60517014
Look close there are four failrly long clips.

If anyone else wants in we leave Fri June 23 and dive both Sat and Sunday on the wreck. The dive boat gets back about 4PM so we are staying over and returning Monday morning to Naples. If anyone needs a ride or has a ride and wants to cost share I have a few possibles who are working out their schedule now. Reply here or PM me and I will get you the info.

genenaples:
Sorry Chris, that would have been great, you should book way in advance though as P'cola is being overrun with divers from all over. I spoke to a friend up there today and they confirmed that MBT and Scuba Shack are the best bet. According to him a number of "new" dive charters have sprung up using any available fishing boat to run people out. He recommends caution and staying with the LDS I mentioned.
That's good to know, thanks. I also just heard that blue water adventures is decent. Any word on them?

Chris

Dive Pro's is another great P'Cola dive op.

There are some Orange Beach and Gulf Shore dive ops going to the Oriskany as well. Gary's Gulf Diver launches from P'cola despite his shop being in Orange Beach, AL. Down Under and Underwater Works will also be going to the Might "O" but they will be launching from Orange Beach, AL - which makes for a longer ride.

I just received confirmation from a buddy who signed up today as well. He is traveling alone so anyone who wants in on the above dates, let me know and you guys can travel together. He is in Naples as well.

FYI, I am in pensacola and had someone on the tug take pics. Mine were good but I have posted on my gallery a number of pics of Oriskany from the helicopter. enjoy. MK

Yep, it held generator and demolition equipment. I hear the small boat is ~50' in length :)

I had the pleasure of Diving the "Mighty O" on Sunday, we were the second boat on the wreck and by the time we were kittted up, there were 10 other boats - two loaded with 20+ people! Dive conditons were excellent, 60-70 feet of visibility with a surface water temp of 77 degrees. The wreck was amazing! Max depth was 137 on the flight deck. The top of the tower was at 67 feet. One thing that was disturbing was the number of people taking "trophy's" one guy was even tearing off tar paper from the roof!! Why people cannot just be happy taking photos amazes me. A spectacular dive all said and done. I highly recommend MBT for booking charters. Their website also has a great forum and specific link to Oriskany site. Fritz and Jim worked their butts off to get the "Mighty O" to P'cola and run a great operation.
PC

SuPrBuGmAn:
Yep, it held generator and demolition equipment. I hear the small boat is ~50' in length :)

Amazing stuff, you would think that boat would sink with all the water distrubance under her. Those Navy boys sure know what their doing.

paulithepin:
I had the pleasure of Diving the "Mighty O" on Sunday, we were the second boat on the wreck and by the time we were kittted up, there were 10 other boats - two loaded with 20+ people! Dive conditons were excellent, 60-70 feet of visibility with a surface water temp of 77 degrees. The wreck was amazing! Max depth was 137 on the flight deck. The top of the tower was at 67 feet. One thing that was disturbing was the number of people taking "trophy's" one guy was even tearing off tar paper from the roof!! Why people cannot just be happy taking photos amazes me. A spectacular dive all said and done. I highly recommend MBT for booking charters. Their website also has a great forum and specific link to Oriskany site. Fritz and Jim worked their butts off to get the "Mighty O" to P'cola and run a great operation. :)

What a shame, it will suffer the same fate as many other wrecks around the world. Strict laws and monitoring keep that from occuring in some places, the Great Lakes are a good example of strict and enforceable laws, but most important for the great lakes is the area divers and dive shops have very high "no touch" morals.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom