Oriskany Info Dive Trip Late June

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cmalinowski:
That's good to know, thanks. I also just heard that blue water adventures is decent. Any word on them?

Chris

Capt. Dave at Blue Water Adventures is awesome.

Dive Pros is another VERY repsectable shop in town (i highly recommend them).

SCUBA SHack is well known for overpricing gear that's way out of date. They are perhaps the worst operation in town (in my opinion). And as for their boat.... well the best thing that can be said about it is that they own it. It is large, it is also slow and a "cattle boat". I cannot imagine how long the ride out to the O would be on the Wet Dream.

genenaples:
Do you have any info on MBT Divers? Good to hear from someone from P'cola

I've never done business with MBT, and don't know much about them. I *DO* know, however, that they chose to put a couple of plaques on the Oriskany before she went down- apparently praising *their* efforts at bringing her to Pensacola. This is a bit ludicrous, as the vast majority of the local dive operators (shops and charter boats) worked very hard along with Robert Turpin, the FWCC and others to bring the wreck to Pensacola. That leaves a bad taste in my mouth, ya know?

chickdiver:
I've never done business with MBT, and don't know much about them. I *DO* know, however, that they chose to put a couple of plaques on the Oriskany before she went down- apparently praising *their* efforts at bringing her to Pensacola. This is a bit ludicrous, as the vast majority of the local dive operators (shops and charter boats) worked very hard along with Robert Turpin, the FWCC and others to bring the wreck to Pensacola. That leaves a bad taste in my mouth, ya know?

Thanks for the reply, well we are signed up with them for June, since they charter their boats it really will depend on the charter operator. I may call the other shops you recommended and see if they have openings, a recent poster to this thread highly recommends MBT, if we stay with them we will post a trip report. Actually, I will post a trip report either way. Found a great site today with recent pics here: http://myfwc.com/marine/ar/OriskanyPixUnderwater.htm

The boat on the deck indeed was placed to float off and did so as expected. I have vidoe of the sinking but have yet to edit it or put it on the scubaboard.

Re captain Dave of Bluewater adventures, He runs a great boat and I fairly regularly dive with him. His is a 6-pack boat so you don't have so many people to contend with. It is a Seacat so is remarkably stable despite relatively small size. He also is spearfishing friendly too. I do recommend him.
Ph # 850-712-4175 MK

You may want to check into Blue Water Adventures. Captain Dave's been here for 3 years and provides a first class operation...granted he's a great friend of mine and on most days you'll find me aboard as the DM so I'm a little biased.

I've been diving these waters for 20 years and agree with the others about who to use. There are several fly-by-nighters moving in, so your best bets are going to be with Blue Water Adventures, the Dive Pros, Scuba Shack and MBT. Try them all from time to time. There's plenty of business for everyone, so find out which one best fits your needs.

Usually we leave the dock at 0600, make two dives on the Oriskany and are back by noon. Fast boat. No diesels. We also dive other sites as well.

paulithepin:
I had the pleasure of Diving the "Mighty O" on Sunday

What size tank did you dive and what was your profile and run time? I have a new set of doubles that need to be christened. :D

chickdiver:

My wife and I are diving the Oriskany Sat the 17th with Viking Diving. Do you know anything about Capt. Tim Thorson?

We originally booked with Dave Mucci but he dropped an engine last Saturday and didn't know for sure when he would be running again. We switched to Viking and then Dave was back up and running today.

We'll stick with Viking as we booked with him. He runs a 6 pack and we aviod the cattle boats like the plaque. He seems competent, friendly and was very accomadating. Any info you may have will be appreciated.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom