Oriskany Sep 2010 - split from Morrison's thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

According to Frank, parts of the deck were falling through, too, and he didn't think it's a safe wreck to penetrate.

What it looks like to me is that there are a few deck plates missing, but it doesn't look like they rusted through, it looks like they were blown off in a storm. You can even see plates laying on top of the deck, which would suggest they didn't rust through and fall into the structure. Of course I'm looking at them from 15ft away, so I could be wrong.

From what I've seen of the interior of the tower section, everything looks pretty solid. Again, just sticking my head in or doing swim-throughs. I'm not a structural engineer or wreck expert.

I've also talked to a few folks that do regular penetrations at the base of the tower, and just below the flight deck. All they report is regular wear and tear, which leads me to believe that it's no worse off than any wreck that's been in the water for four years or so.

So, I got some correction yesterday evening after hanging with Jim and Fritz from MBT. It seems that the piece that has fallen off the tower is some kind of blower trunk, not a major piece of the tower itself, although it seems half the size of the Spree. The holes in the deck were likely there before the sinking, as the actual carrier deck was wood, and the actual steel deck was only 1/4" plate. Fritz told me that when he walked the deck prior to sinking, it made him consider where he placed his feet, as the deck did not seem as stout as he might expect it. My initial blush of the shape of the Oriskany may have been colored by the consideration that I personally prefer reefs.

Although we dive the Vandenberg on the way home from Dry Tortugas, I personally don't. My cup of tea includes non-sterile wrecks in deep water, and pretty fishes on reefs. I did not mean to insult another wreck, and I certainly didn't mean to cast aspersions on the local dive operators in Pensacola, who have done an admirable job keeping divers safe on the Oriskany. The important thing is that the customers on the Spree last weekend truly enjoyed their experience. We will try to repeat this weekend.

So, I got some correction yesterday evening after hanging with Jim and Fritz from MBT. It seems that the piece that has fallen off the tower is some kind of blower trunk, not a major piece of the tower itself, although it seems half the size of the Spree. The holes in the deck were likely there before the sinking, as the actual carrier deck was wood, and the actual steel deck was only 1/4" plate. Fritz told me that when he walked the deck prior to sinking, it made him consider where he placed his feet, as the deck did not seem as stout as he might expect it. My initial blush of the shape of the Oriskany may have been colored by the consideration that I personally prefer reefs.

There is one plate missing from the port side of the tower forward of the blower trunk (since late Summer 2008) that got knocked off during a hurricane, but the underlying structure is still solid, and most people won't know it's even missing. The sheathing on the smoke stack came off later, during a minor hurricane.

Although we dive the Vandenberg on the way home from Dry Tortugas, I personally don't. My cup of tea includes non-sterile wrecks in deep water, and pretty fishes on reefs. I did not mean to insult another wreck, and I certainly didn't mean to cast aspersions on the local dive operators in Pensacola, who have done an admirable job keeping divers safe on the Oriskany. The important thing is that the customers on the Spree last weekend truly enjoyed their experience. We will try to repeat this weekend.

Even with your report, Frank, I'm looking forward to heading out to the Oriskany in a week on the Spree and seeing it for the first time. Like I stated in another forum, I appreciate your honest report based on what you saw. I'm sure you will have future trips on the Oriskany booked. Spending a few days on it beats the heck out of a one day trip!

Here is a video that shows the area that was damaged. I think it actually adds to the fun of the dive as it is a cool swim-through.

With the potential for the super structure to deteriorate over time and the fact that it's already in ~225 ft water, it makes me wonder why it was sunk so deep? Is 70-80 ft of water between the surface and the wreck necessary for navigation? Wow, that's a deep draft. If the wreck was sunk in ~150-175 ft water more of the wreck would have been diveable. Besides wouldn't it have been cool to sink some jets on the deck at some point in the future?

Any storm rolling over is gonna knock jets off the deck to the sand... it'd be cool, no doubt, but only for a minute or two :)

Pensacola was a great place for the Oriskany, with NAS Pensacola right there, it makes perfect sense.

I talked to Robert Turpin who is in charge of the artifical reefs off Pensacola and who helped to get the Oriskany sunk in Pensacola several years ago. My main question to him was why was the Oriskany sunk at such a deep site. He stated that they had to have 50 feet of draft to ensure a navigable waterway which was a mandatory requirement.

Nice of him to stop by for some business and profit and trash talk our ship in return. Artificial reefs do this, it's a known phenomenon. The Speigel and Vandy will do the same thing. It's still an awesome dive and incredible experience.
Capt. Jim
Dr Dive

I didn't see any trash talk. He provided an honest assessment of the wreck compared to other wrecks he's been on.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom