Out law fishing and diving in Georgia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

2degrees

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
It looks like they are doing everything possible to outlaw fishing and spearfishing on the Georgia coast. They are doing it in small bits at a time. It looks like only the commercial guys will enjoy fishing before long!

http://www.safmc.net/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=BK8Z8kvd7yA=&tabid=624

This is the latest. It started off with NOAA looking into the harm of anchoring at Grays reef. Then they outlawed anchoring, spearfishing and bottom fishing at Grays reef. Then they raised the size limits for the black sea bass. Now they are wanting to make a large "no bottom fishing zones along the coast". This would all be good if it made sense with what they are doing with the commercial fisheries. They are wanting to decrease the size of sea bass the commercial guys can keep. So why post this on a SCUBA board? The main reason is because they are wanting to out law catching or SPEARING grouper and snapper. Look at the history ...once they start they will not stop. They have public hearings but that is just a tokken event.

I heard from a guy in Jupiter a few weeks ago that the Lion Fish were incredibly thick up there off the coast of Jaw-Juh.
Does anyone know if this is true?

Chug
Hopes he was misinformed.

Yes and no. We never thought they would outlaw all that they have so far. If big money from the commercial guys and the PETA guys can buy off the politicians then who knows what will transpire. The recreational fishermen did not think it would ever come to this. Remember you can boil a frog if he never realizes what is happening until it is to late.

They are showing up more and more.

Jaw-Juh LOL:rofl3:

I heard from a guy in Jupiter a few weeks ago that the Lion Fish were incredibly thick up there off the coast of Jaw-Juh.
Does anyone know if this is true?

Chug
Hopes he was misinformed.

Grouper in the Gulf are over-harvested. It makes sense to take them off the list until they can lay some eggs.

We already have a Red Snapper season in the Gulf, and it has resulted in a fantastic fishery. While I can find fault with bag limits for snapper, I can't argue with the good it has done for the resource. Worth it in my opinion.

I'll agree that Commercial and Recreational should get a fair 50/50 split. You're going to have to hire a lobbyist to get that changed though.

We also need slot limits. Leave the trophy fish alone, they're the breeding stock. Take the fish that are 2-4 inches over the limit and leave the big guys to reproduce. That's something that YOU can do without going to a meeting or hiring a lobbyist. Just leave the big guys alone and encourage your dive buddies to do the same.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom