Out of air incident

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks to the OP for having the guts to share the experience. I just read through all 10 pages of this thread and have the following take-aways......for ME personally!

1) In my opinion no matter what "they" teach ....tank valves should be either all the on or all the way off. I'm not talking about cranking on them all the open way into a seat lock.... Just all the way on or off. No quarter turn back for me...ever... A couple of full pre-dive full breaths and quick gauge check will confirm if you're good to go...

2) If your gear has been left unattended or has been handled by anyone other than you, re-check everything.

3) Never let someone else check your tank valve(s) for on or off. One of the most common errors is when a buddy is facing you and reaching over your shoulder. Some folks can easily get confused on which way they are turning the valve.

4) It's been over 10 years since I retired from teaching......but I distinctively remember teaching a confined water OOG drill......on knees on the bottom of the pool. This drill was fully discussed and preplanned. Facing the student I would reach over their shoulder and turn off their air. Once the student experienced the diminished air flow and then eventually the stoppage, they would signal OOO and then I would crank the valve back on. Do agencies not do this any more in confined water sessions?

Back
Top Bottom