Outer Ear infection prevention?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi DocVikingo,

I'm glad you chimed in, as I didn't want to be too "Internet doctory" when I'm not one at all.

That first link is the one I was looking for. Thank you! Funny, as I got to jaoa.org, but I guess didn't dig down far enough to find that .pdf

I take it that since you didn't "disrecommend" the GT, that it may help, or at the very least be neutral and not harmful (?)

Blue Sparkle

PS: And to reiterate, this sub-topic was addressed to the thread poster who seemed to be having middle-ear problems, not to the OP who was asking about the outer ear canal.

Hi DocVikingo, you didn't "disrecommend" the GT, that it may help, or at the very least be neutral and not harmful (?)

Hey Blue Sparkle,

To be honest, I don't know anymore about it than you do--probably less ; ) It seems largely to be the province of osteopathic/chiropractic medicine, although it isn't limited to it.

It seems to me to have little potential for harm to a patient and may do some good in some cases. The most recent study I could locate suggests that evidence for the effectiveness the technique is inconclusive --> http://www.biomedcentral.com/content/pdf/1746-1340-18-3.pdf

Perhaps our resident ENT doctormike will chime in.

Regards,

DocV

Hi jupitermermaid,

Per the manufacturer, Ciprodex is a broad-spectrum antibiotic that should be used to treat only bacterial ear infections.

While most cases of otitis externa are caused by a bacterial pathogen, about 15% are the result of a fungal pathogen, typically a Candida sp or Aspergillus sp. Ciprodex actually can cause an overgrowth of these fungi and make the condition much worse.

One needs to know what they are treating before recommending/using any medication.

You are so right, Doc V. I should have stopped at see an ENT. LOL

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom